Anti-spill cup: How to choose the best for your baby in 2021
Today we are going to talk about a tool present in the lives of moms, dads, caregivers and children … the anti-spill cup. This cup is used in the transition phase of the bottle or breast to the conventional cup.
But buying a training glass with anti-spill technology can generate some doubts, such as which model to choose and in which situations to use. To clarify these and other doubts, we have prepared this article.
First, the most important
- The anti-spill cup allows the child to drink water, juice or milk without the parents worrying about the child choking or getting wet. The anti-leak valve allows the release of the liquid only through the suction movement.
- You can find models with a rigid spout, silicone spout, straw and 360º cup. The choice is related to the child’s age. We will introduce the different models in this article.
- The anti-spill cup only leaks when you do not fit the valve correctly, do not close the cup properly or tighten it too much.
You may also like :
- Baby bottle: How to choose the best model for your baby in 2021
- Bottle sterilizer: How to choose the ideal one in 2021
- Baby bottle drainer: How to choose the best in 2021
The best anti-spill cup options: Our recommendations
Are you setting up your baby’s layette or looking for a gift for a loved one’s baby shower? How about buying an anti-spill cup? We have selected the best products in this category below:
- The best anti-leak cup for learning
- The best 360º anti-spill cup
- An anti-spill cup for the little ones
- The best anti-spill cup for older children
Little ones need a little help to develop new skills. To learn how to drink milk, water, juice or any other drink in a glass, it is necessary to go through an adaptation phase with the anti-spill glass.
The glass with anti-leak valve controls the flow of liquid, preventing children from suffocating or spilling the drink on themselves. It is perfect to use at home, take to school, tours or trips. Learn more about it in this Buying Guide.
What is an anti-spill cup?
The anti-spill cup was developed to assist babies and young children in the transition from bottle to cup. The anti-spill cup has a valve that allows the baby or child to drink easily, comfortably and safely.
It should be used at the stage when fluids are introduced into the baby’s diet. The anti-spill cup can be used to serve water, juice, milk or another drink for the little one – the ideal is to buy a cup for each drink, to avoid unwanted flavors and odors.
With the anti-spill cup, the child gains a certain autonomy, while the parents are at peace, as there is no risk of the child choking on the liquid – the flow is controlled – spilling the drink on the body or dirtying the floor of the house.
Why invest in an anti-spill cup?
Among the advantages of the anti-spill cup we can mention the practicality of handling. Most models have an anatomical shape, non-slip base and have a pair of removable straps that simplify the child’s footprint.
The glass is transparent and has a measurement indicator, perfect for tracking the amount of drink ingested.
The liquid only comes out when the child sucks.
The lid has a locking device that prevents the liquid from escaping – even with the compartment open, the liquid only comes out when the child sucks – so there is no risk of the drink leaking into the bag or backpack.
In addition, the anti-spill cup is made of resistant materials, so it can withstand impacts and falls without breaking.
A negative point of the anti-leak cup is that you need to remove the lid to lock or unlock the anti-leak mechanism. Some consumers comment that the assembly is not so simple and should not be done in a hurry.
Check out more advantages and disadvantages about the anti-spill cup in the table below:
At what age can the child use an anti-spill cup?
According to the recommendation of specialists in pediatrics, when babies reach five or six months of life, they are ready to make the transition between the bottle and the glass.
Many experts do not recommend the use of the training cup, but many moms, dads and caregivers use the anti-spill cup to facilitate the child’s assimilation and ensure the safety of the little ones.
The anti-spill cup prevents the child from getting wet while drinking water, juice or milk, as it has a valve that regulates the entry and exit of air preventing the liquid from escaping excessively, leaking or dripping.
What are anti-spill cup models?
There are several models of training cup with anti-leakage system. To choose the ideal model for your son or daughter, it is necessary to take into consideration the child’s stage of development and age. We list the main models below:
- Transition cup with anti-leak valve is ideal for the gradual transition from the breast or bottle to the cup. Suitable for children from four months, this model has an ergonomic shape, soft and flexible spout, anti-colic valve and removable handles.
- Training cup with anti-leak system has this name because it serves to stimulate the baby’s abilities and help him learn to drink from the cup alone. It is recommended for children from six months. This cup has a removable anti-leak valve, a bite-resistant rigid spout, an ergonomic shape, removable handles and a shape that promotes correct neck posture while the baby drinks.
- 360º cup with anti-leak valve is the closest model to a real cup that you can offer your baby. The base consists of a transparent silicone membrane that only opens in contact with the baby’s lips. The cup has a double air valve, which promotes air circulation, prevents leaks and provides continuous flow. Comes with removable handles. It is ideal for babies 12 months or older.
- Glass with straw and anti-leakage system is indicated for children aged 14 months or more. Offers a soft silicone straw, hygienic lid – when not being used, the straw is kept inside the lid – and a thermal base that maintains the drink temperature.
Purchasing criteria: How to choose an anti-spill cup
The anti-spill cup cannot be missing from the baby’s layette, as it helps the child learn to drink from a cup. To choose the best model for the small one, evaluate the following characteristics:
- Nozzle shape, position and material
- With or without straw
- With or without handles
We will detail these criteria throughout the section. Don’t forget to share this content with first-time moms.
Nozzle shape, position and material
If you prefer to buy an anti-spill cup with a spout, note the shape, position and material of the piece.
The anti-spill cup with flexible silicone nipple is great for babies who suck on the bottle, as it is very similar to the nipple of the bottle. It is not suitable for breastfeeding, as it can cause nipple confusion.
Buy a cup with a hard nipple if you are still breastfeeding and want to continue breastfeeding the baby as it does not cause nipple confusion. It is ideal for feeding liquids to infants aged four to six months.
Extra soft and flexible silicone nipple is ideal for baby’s sensitive gums, while the rigid nipple is resistant to bites.
Also analyze the nozzle position. The centralized nipple, like a baby bottle, is ideal for very young children. The mouthpiece on the side of the glass, on the other hand, encourages the child to start drinking at the edge of the glass, just like in a regular glass.
Look for a model in which the ergonomic shape of the cup and the position of the spout promote the proper posture of the baby or child while he drinks.
Did you know that some anti-spill cup models have a removable valve? The anti-leak valve should only be removed when the baby understands and is able to control the outflow of liquids by moving the head.
The anti-leak valve must be removed during the child’s last adaptation phase. If taken ahead of time it can cause accidents and a lot of dirt.
With or without straw
In addition to anti-spill cups with flexible or rigid spouts, you can find models with or without straw.
The anti-spill cup with straw stimulates the child’s suction, but it can represent an obstacle for children who do not know how to perform the suction movement or who do not understand what should be done.
The 360º glass is the model most similar to a conventional glass, but it has a valve that prevents the liquid from being spilled. It is ideal for children over eight or 12 months of age.
With or without handles
Most anti-spill cup models have a pair of removable handles that allow your child to hold the cup more easily and safely.
These handles are ergonomic and designed especially for baby’s delicate little hands. The handles stimulate the development of the child’s motor skills.
For older children, avoid buying the anti-spill cup with handles, instead choose a model with an anatomical and ergonomic shape that assists in the child’s footprint.
When choosing an anti-spill cup, or any other object for your baby’s layette, buy items that guarantee easy handling, development of motor skills and safety of the little ones.
The best brands in the children’s layette segment are: Philips Avent, Lillo, NUK, MAM, Clingo, among others. But be sure to buy an anti-spill cup with factory warranty and parts sold separately.
best cup for 3 year old
best straw sippy cup for milk
best toddler cup for bedtime milk
best sippy cup for 6 month old breastfed baby
best sippy cup for teeth
sipper cup for milk
best sippy cup to transition from bottle
best sippy cups for formula
What is the best sippy cup to transition from bottle?
What kind of cup should a 3 year old use?
Are sippy cups better than bottles?
What kind of cup should a 2 year old use?
Is sippy cup or straw better?
What age should you get rid of sippy cups?
When should toddler use Open Cup?
Do 5 year olds use sippy cups?
When should kids stop drinking milk?
Are 360 sippy cups dangerous?
What can I use instead of a sippy cup?
Why are hard spout sippy cups bad?