Top & Best Fiber optic cable: How to choose the best in 2021
The fiber optic internet offers a series of advantages such as stable and fast connection, data security, integration between systems, and less investment in maintenance. To take advantage of these benefits, you need to invest in a fiber optic cable compatible with your needs.
First, the most important
- The fiber optic cable consists of filaments of glass or silica that act as conductors for optical signals, which carry thousands of digital information over long distances.
- The fiber optic cable can be singlemode or multimode. In some cases it is necessary to use both types of cabling on the same internet network.
- Although the cost of fiber optic cable is higher when compared to copper or metal cabling, if you look at the total cost – from installation to maintenance – you’ll notice that this is the most economical option.
You may also like :
- Network cable: How to choose the best rj45 cable of 2021
- Optical cable: How to choose the best in 2021
- Router: How to choose the best one for you in 2021
Best fiber optic cables: Our recommendations
We have prepared a list of the best fiber optic cable models for sale. Take the opportunity to learn a little more about the functionality of this hardware and evaluate the technical resources of each model.
The search for a fast, stable and secure internet connection increases every day. In this sense, the fiber optic internet network proves to be the best option on the market. To enjoy this type of connection, you need a fiber optic cable.
However, there are different types of fiber optic cables. To learn about these different models and their respective applications, continue reading this Buying Guide.
What is a fiber optic cable and what is it for?
The fiber optic cable is responsible for the operation of the fiber optic internet. This hardware is formed by core, interface and protective cover.
The core carries the glass or silica filaments. Around these filaments, there is a reflective layer that causes the optical pulses that pass through the cable to be reflected internally, minimizing possible interference and transmission failures.
The protective cover is a coating that preserves the optical fiber. The cable is protected from noise or electromagnetic interference, as it is composed of dielectric materials that do not transmit electrical pulses.
How does a fiber optic cable work?
The fiber optic cable uses GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) technology that uses laser or LED optical pulses that travel through the filaments and transmit data at high speed.
The fiber optic cable enables data transmission and traffic in the order of terabyte. However, for data to be transmitted, it is necessary to use equipment called a media converter.
What are the advantages of fiber optic cable?
Do you know what factors make fiber optics the best option in data transmission today? Get to know them below:
- Greater transmission capacity : Through the fiber optic network, a communication system will have a greater bandwidth and data transmission capacity at a speed of up to 1.6Tb / s.
- Faster connection : Internet speed is essential for completing jobs. The fiber optic cable provides fast and stable internet.
- Higher signal strength : With the internet network established by fiber optic cabling, the internet signal strength will not decrease as easily if you are away from the router.
- Safer transmissions : The only way to interrupt fiber optic internet transmission is to cut the cable, that is, the fiber optic cable protects data access.
- Lower latency : Latency indicates the delay of the internet signal in traversing the network from one point to another. The fiber optic cable does not face this problem, providing a much better user experience.
- Protection against electromagnetic interference : Optical signals do not disappear due to interference, as data is transmitted through light, not electrical currents.
- Ease of installation : Fiber optic cables are easy to install, as they are smaller and more flexible, and do not need their own infrastructure – they can share space with facilities present in the environment.
Find out all the advantages of this hardware in the table below:
What are the meanings of the acronyms that identify a fiber optic cable?
You need to understand the acronyms used by Anatel to identify a fiber optic cable. The hardware can be identified by the acronyms CFOAC or CFOI – fiber optic cable for internal use – followed by one of the following letters: X, W, Z, CA and K.
- X is the type of optical fiber.
- W + CM (compact metal) or CD (compact dielectric).
- Z is the number of optical fibers that make up the cable.
- CA is the friction class, with conventional CO and AR reduced friction.
- K is the degree of protection.
Other important acronyms are SM – Single Mode – which indicates a single-mode fiber and MM – Multi Mode – indicates multimode fiber.
Purchasing Criteria: How to Compare Fiber Optic Cable Types
Choosing the right fiber optic cable is essential to ensure the successful implementation and the security of the existing infrastructure. For this, at the time of purchase, analyze the following characteristics:
- Multimode or single-mode cable
- LSZH or COG fiber optic cable
- Dielectric or metallic version
- Fiberglass or plastic
Follow these tips and choose the best fiber optic cable for your home or business. Then just enjoy the internet at the speed of light.
Multimode or single-mode cable
When we talk about fiber optic cable, we are referring to two different cable models: Singlemode and Multimode. Both have similar structures, but there are major differences in terms of efficiency.
- Single-mode fiber : It is suitable for applications involving long distances – so it requires more precise connectors and high-cost devices. In this type of cable, optical pulses have only one mode of propagation, that is, light travels only one path.
- Multimode fiber : It is classified according to performance: OM1, OM2, OM3, OM4 and OM5. The multimode fiber has a larger core, so that the optical pulses have several propagation paths. This type of cable is used for short distance connections.
The Multimode fiber optic cable system remains the most economical cabling solution for business applications. This model also offers lower costs for transceivers, connectors and installation.
In some cases, it is necessary to make use of these two types of cabling in the same internet network. To make this integration, it is necessary to use a fiber fusion device, which is capable of making amendments without leaving loopholes that could compromise the quality of data traffic
LSZH or COG fiber optic cable
COG fiber optic cable generally used in vertical installations. Its application is quite varied, but it is usually in commercial buildings.
Also suitable for vertical applications, the LSZH fiber optic cable – or Low Smoke Zero Halogen – was developed to provide greater safety to people in the event of a fire – this cable generates little or no smoke.
This type of cable is not only recommended, it is also required in places with a large circulation of people, such as shopping centers and nightclubs.
Dielectric or metallic version
The fiber optic cable can be found in dielectric and metallic versions. The metallic cable, as the name implies, has metal in its composition, either for protection or traction of the cable, so it should not share space with electrical cables.
The dielectric cable is made of materials that do not conduct electrical energy, so it can share space with electrical cables.
Fiberglass or plastic
The fiber optic cable is composed of glass or plastic (silica) filaments. Know the differences between these two presentations and choose the ideal technology according to your application.
People Also Search For
fibre optic cable price
4 core fiber optic cable price
best fiber optic cable for networking
optical fibre cable price per metre
best fiber optic cable brand
internet fiber optic cable price
fiber optic cable for tv
different optical cables
best fiber optic hdmi cable
in-wall optical cable
optical cable amazon
fiber optic cable for tv
fiber optic audio cable vs hdmi
fiber optic audio cable adapter
fiber optic cable price list pdf
cost of laying fiber optic cable
kabeldirekt optical digital audio cable
qed performance graphite optical
best optical cable for soundbar
fiber optic cable manufacturers in pune
fiber optic business
optical fibre industry
fiber optic cable brand
unbreakcable digital optical audio cable
fospower optical cable
People also ask
Are all fiber optic cables the same?
What are the 2 types of fiber optic cable?
Are cheap optical cables any good?
Where are fiber optic cables used?
Is Optical better than HDMI?
How far can a fiber optic signal travel?
What is advantage of fiber optic cable?
What type of fiber is needed for 10gb?
Why don’t we use fiber optics everywhere?
Are thicker optical cables better?
What’s better coaxial or optical?
Is Optical better than RCA?
What are the disadvantages of fiber optic cable?
What is the most prominent use of fiber optics today?
What are three applications of fiber optics?
Should I use PCM or Dolby Digital?
Can I use HDMI and optical audio at the same time?
Which connection is best for soundbar?
What is the maximum distance for fiber optic cable?
What is the maximum distance for single mode fiber?
What is the max distance for om4 fiber optic cable for a 10gig transmission?