New Balance sneakers: How to choose the best in 2021
Today we are going to talk about the best tennis models from New Balance, one of the biggest and best shoe brands in and in the world.
The coolest thing is that you have options for different occasions, since you find the sports models suitable for walking, running and weight training, but you can also choose a casual version to work, study or take a walk.
If you want to buy a new sneaker, continue reading our Buying Guide, in it we will explain which is the ideal model according to your profile and objectives, give tips on where to buy, how much to pay and some purchase suggestions.
First, the most important
- The New Balance Running platform divides the models into three categories depending on the type and composition of the midsole: Fresh Foam, REVlite and Fuel, each one is indicated for certain types of physical activities.
- You can find several color options, from the most basic tones to the most modern ones. Although most models rely on Mesh fabric, you will find suede and leather versions.
- The brand offers sneakers in the children’s, women’s, men’s and unisex categories. Prices vary, in children’s models you can find options between R $ 100 and R $ 130, for men from R $ 150 to R $ 750 and for women they cost between R $ 160 and R $ 700.
You may also like:
- Running socks: How to choose the best one in 2021
- Women’s running shoes: How to choose the best in 2021?
- Crossfit Tennis: How to choose the best in 2021?
Best New Balance sneakers models: Our favorites
New Balance is a versatile brand, as it offers models in the sports and casual categories for children, women and men. For this Ranking we select the best models from different categories and based on consumer reviews of the brand.
- The most acclaimed New Balance on the internet
- A female classic from the brand
- Excellent female casual model
- The New Balance for those who want to dare
New Balance sneakers have an advantage that most brands do not: the models are versatile and have a casual profile, which allows you to go to work or study right after training, just change your clothes.
To know everything about this brand, keep reading and at the end of this complete Buying Guide, know how to choose the best model for you!
What are the differences in New Balance sneakers?
New Balance bets on offering products of excellent quality, not only for the practice of sports (Running and Trainning lines), but also for everyday life (Lifestyle line).
There is a wide variety of models from both segments, which are made of synthetic materials such as suede, polyamide and mesh or of animal origin such as leather and its variations (nobuck and suede).
The coolest thing is that there are New Balance sneakers for children, women (trainning line is exclusive for the female audience) and men.
The Running line is the brand’s flagship, and the models are produced with the latest technology. It is no coincidence that New Balance was named the number 1 sports shoe company for three years in a row in the United States.
What are the exclusive technologies of New Balance sneakers?
New Balance develops exclusive technologies that are found in virtually all models. These characteristics guarantee a comfortable and high performance footwear.
- Lightning Dry : This technology is used in the fabric that lines the collar. Made of nylon or polyester, it has a soft touch, protects against UVB and UVA sunlight and facilitates the transfer of moisture from the shoe with the environment.
- Dual Density : The foam present in the heel region has a coating with two foam densities, which guarantees comfort when putting on tennis shoes and using them on a daily basis.
- TS2 : Multiple density material. It is applied on the inside of the shoe.
- Ortholite Insert : It is the technology used in the insole, to make it more flexible and ergonomic.
- NDurance : Rubber compound applied to the heel region to increase the durability of the sole of the shoe.
- Acteva : This material is 12% lighter than EVA, which is already well known for its lightness. This technology is used in the sole of the shoe.
- Phantom Liner Cocona : This technology uses green coconut-based fabric to produce the inner lining of the sneakers. As it is seamless, it prevents skin irritation and inhibits the appearance of blisters.
- Flex Grooves : It is the technology used in the special rubber sole of the footwear. The sole is manufactured with grooves (grooves) that guarantee flexibility.
- Encap : Technology applied to the midsole of the shoe, guarantees softness when stepping.
- Nlock : Mooring system that involves the feet, has a perfect fit, firmness and comfort. This technology minimizes the movement of the feet inside the shoes.
- Air Mesh : Light fabric (similar to a canvas), structured with an open weave to facilitate the ventilation of the shoes.
- Abzorb : Damping technology and impact dissipation.
- Abzorb FL : Exclusive material applied to the midsole of the shoe. Offers much more impact cushioning than materials used normally.
Did you know that New Balance was created in 1906, in the state of Massachusetts, United States, by William J. Riley, who at the time was 33 years old and worked as a waiter? Riley developed a three point reinforced insole, the inspiration for the creation was the feet of the hens!
In the 70s, the company was purchased by James S. Davis, who streamlined the development of the brand and launched the most famous model: the New Balance 320. Today the company specializes in running shoes and maintains the Running line as flagship of the brand, having won as the best tennis for sports in the American market for three consecutive years.
Do you know what your type of step is?
Before knowing the types of running shoes, it is important that you know your own body and understand the type of step you have. There are three types: neutral step, pronated and supinated and it has a very simple way of finding out what type it is:
The neutral step has the characteristic of boosting the steps with the entire front of the foot. The impulse begins on the outside of the heel and the foot rotates slightly inward, touching the ground and ending the step in the center of the sole.
Those who have this type of step have less restrictions when choosing a shoe, just that it has a light cushioning. To find out if this is your type, observe the wear of your sneakers, if it is even throughout, your step is neutral.
The pronated step starts with the left side of the heel and ends in the region near the big toe. In this type of step, when the outer part of the heel touches the ground, the foot starts an excessive rotation inward, ending the pass at the fingertips.
This type of step is quite common in women, as it serves as a preparation for pregnancy. People with pronated footprints have their shoes worn on the inside. If you have this type of step, buy shoes with light cushioning and stability.
The supine trampled is very rare, only 5% of the population step that way. In this type, the person uses the outer part of the foot (mainly the little toe area) to boost movement.
The effort begins in the heel area, the outer side of the foot maintains contact with the ground, and ends the stride at the base of the little toe. People with this type of step need shoes with reinforced cushioning and stability control.
Running Platform: Which New Balance shoes to choose?
Each type of sport provides a different stimulus in the feet, so it is important that the model you choose is geared to the sport in question.
Like most major tennis brands with lines geared towards sports, New Balance has a running platform with three types of shoes according to the composition of the midsole.
We will explain what are the characteristics of these models below:
- Fresh Foam : The shoes in this category have an extremely soft sole, which guarantees total cushioning and safety. Fresh Foam models are suitable for shooting, which is the lightest workout of the week and also for longer races.
This technology was launched in 2014, based on a survey of more than 300 amateur and professional runners.
- REVlite : This technology was launched in 2010, with the promise of a reduction of up to 30% in the weight of shoes, compared to models of the same standard. The sneakers in the REVlite category are firmer, so they are suitable for HIIT training and half marathon competitions.
- Fuelcell : Sneakers in the Fuelcell category have a faster response, thanks to the revolutionary nitrogen injection technology of the midsole. The leather upper is also very technological and breathable.
How much does it cost and where to buy New Balance sneakers?
The children’s line models cost between R $ 100 and R $ 130, the female models cost between R $ 160 and R $ 700 and the male models vary between R $ 150 and R $ 750. Usually the casual models are a little more affordable , cost between R $ 180 and R $ 320 and sports cars cost over R $ 200.
You can find New Balance models at the brand’s online store or in physical stores located in some malls in major cities. If you prefer, several tennis and sporting goods store.
After the New Balance store, you can only find so many models of the brand on Amazon. E-commerce has hundreds of options for sports shoes and casual shoes from NB, in different colors and sizes. The coolest thing is that you buy over the internet and sneakers arrive at your house.
Purchasing Criteria: Factors to Compare New Balance Tennis Models
Before buying New Balance sneakers, you need to know what are the most important features that differentiate one model from another. Only then will you be able to buy the right shoes according to your profile and preferences. Observe the following criteria:
- Tennis category
- Neutrality and weight
We will detail item by item so that you don’t have any doubts and get your shoes right.
The first thing to keep in mind when choosing a New Balance shoe is that the models are divided into three different categories: running, trainning (only for women) and lifestyle.
Running shoes are suitable for running and are of three types: Fresh Foam, REVlite or Fuelcell, we have already talked about each of these types in the sections above.
The trainning line sneakers are more suitable for those who practice light walks, cooper and like to practice weight training. Those in the Lifestyle category are recommended for everyday life, whether for studying, working or taking a walk.
You can find New Balance sneaker models in different fabrics: nubuck, leather, suede (these three are more common in lifestyle sneakers), mesh, polyamide and suede. We will talk about each of them in this section.
- Leather : It is the tanned skin of animals, with cattle leather being the most common and cheapest. It can be divided into two parts: the flower is the outer layer of the leather and the smoothest part. The zest is the underlying part of the flower, which is generally used to make suede.
- Nobuck : It is the outer part of the leather, which is sanded until it acquires an opaque, smooth and casual look. It is not quite as rustic as suede, but it is more resistant than this material. It is widely used in the leather of sneakers, or in just a few details.
- Suede : It is the opposite of Nobuck, it is the inner part of the leather that is worn out. To get the rustic look and the exact texture, the fabric is sanded with coarse sandpaper. It is widely used in tennis heel pads.
- Mesh : Breathable fabric widely used in pieces developed for the practice of sport (clothes and shoes). This type of mesh has small holes and form a type of fabric, facilitating the exchange of moisture between the shoes and the environment.
- Suede : Synthetic material from polyester that has a finish very similar to suede (derived from leather of animal origin). It is ideal for those looking for a shoe that resists everyday wear and tear. The suede is very resistant to stains, damages caused by humidity and friction. This fabric supports various types of coloring and prints.
- Polyamide : Polyamide or nylon is a type of synthetic fiber used in sporting goods, such as leggings, jackets, running socks and sneakers. Polyamide allows the exchange of heat with the environment, does not absorb sweat and has a soft touch.
The drop of a shoe refers to the distance between the sole and the region of the heel and between the sole and the region of the forefoot. It varies according to the physical activity for which the tennis shoes will be used. The drop of a running shoe, for example, varies from 8 to 12 mm.
In New Balance sneakers, the drop is usually below 8mm, although it has the appearance of a high profile (the white strip located on the sole of the shoe is higher than the actual drop of the shoe).
In general, most sneakers have some difference in drop. If the sole on the back is thicker than on the forefoot, the shoe has a larger drop (and vice versa).
n the past, the 10 mm (1 cm) drop was considered ideal for running shoes, but in the last few years this has changed and many models with smaller drops (as is the case with NB) and even zero drop ( straight sole, suitable for practicing crossfit).
The drop is directly linked to the way the muscles and joints move during the run. By changing the drop, we can change the way the body receives impacts and help to reduce the risk of injury.
But you need to choose a model with the ideal drop for your style of footing and sports practice.
t is also necessary to go through a period of adaptation to the new thickness of the drop, that is, if you are used to wearing a shoe with a smaller drop and want to start using a larger one, you need to make the transition gradually, so that the muscles adapt to change.
But after all, what is the ideal drop? The tip is to look for shoes with a smaller drop, up to 6mm thick because, according to some studies, this type of sole allows the natural movement of the feet during the strides.
But this varies from one case to the next, for example: a sneaker with a lower drop favors runners who usually step with their forefoot or flat foot.
On the other hand, athletes with a recurrent problem of rupture in the Achilles tendon, need to undergo rehabilitation with higher drop shoes.
Neutrality and weight
Give preference to buy neutral sneakers, that is, in which the support is soft, because contrary to what was thought (that the sneakers with support helped in the prevention of injuries), the support interferes with the body’s ability to absorb the resulting impacts of the race.
Regarding weight, give preference to light shoes, with about 285 grams for male models and 226 grams for women.