Swimming goggles: What is the best model of 2021?
Today we are going to talk about swimming goggles. Choosing the right model is essential for you to be able to see well during training and to protect your eyes. The goggles are suitable for both professionals and casual swimmers.
Did you know, for example, that the type of goggles used to swim in indoor pools should not be used in bright places? Yes, each environment requires a specific swimming goggle.
To help you choose the ideal model, we have selected some characteristics that must be taken into account so that you do not make a mistake when choosing your glasses.
First, the most important
- Before choosing a model of swimming goggles, you need to evaluate factors such as the type of environment that you will practice the activity. Is the place open or closed? Too much or too little light?
- Analyze the characteristics of each type of lens: light, dark, mirrored, with degree.
- Swimming goggles prices range from R $ 7.00 to R $ 1,000.00. That is, there are numerous options on the market.
You may also like:
- Crossfit Tennis: How to choose the best?
- Basketball: What is it and how to choose the best one?
Best swimming goggles: Our favorites
If you have decided to start swimming or already practice the sport, but still have doubts about which model to choose, check out our selection with the best swimming goggles on the market. The list includes both glasses for professional use and options for those who are starting the sport.
- Michael Phelps K180 Lady Swimming Goggles
- Speedo Hydrovision Swimming Goggles
- Hammerhead Vortex 4.0 swimming goggles
It doesn’t matter if you are a professional swimmer, if you practice swimming for leisure or as a physical activity, having swimming goggles suited to your needs is essential.
Therefore, in this Buying Guide we will show you the main differences and everything you need to consider when choosing your glasses. Keep reading!
What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing swimming goggles?
Having good eye health is essential to ensure good performance in the pool. Many swimmers experience burning, redness or dry eyes after training. One of the main advantages of using swimming goggles is to protect your eyes from chlorine, salt and direct contact with water, avoiding such discomfort.
Swimming goggles are highly recommended for professional use, as the eyes are exposed to water for prolonged periods. In addition, they help athletes to better visualize the events.
The fact that the glasses allow more visibility in the water also helps beginner swimmers, as it is easier to perceive the environment. This increases the confidence of those who are starting this activity.
One of the disadvantages of swimming goggles is related to fixation. To ensure that water does not get into the eyes, the glasses must be firm on the face. But that does not always happen. It is very common for glasses to come off during training and this can cause irritation in the most sensitive eyes, as well as discomfort.
Another disadvantage is the type of material used in the nasal support of the glasses. Supports made of plastic can cause more discomfort than those made of silicone. Plastic models can even cause skin injuries.
- Protects eyes from direct contact with water
- Assists athletes in visualizing competitions
- Increases the confidence of beginner swimmers
- Depending on the material used, it can hurt
What technology should my glasses lenses have?
The material used in the lenses of your swimming goggles is an important factor that needs to be evaluated before you choose a specific model. Some technologies make a lot of difference during the practice of the activity. Check out:
- Anti-fog or Anti-fog: This coating prevents the lenses from fogging up, thus ensuring greater visibility. In addition, spray and substances can be found on the market that can be applied to the lenses to keep them free from fog.
- Anti-scratch: This type of treatment avoids the possibility of scratches on the lenses, making the product more resistant.
- UV protection: Ideal for swimming in uncovered places, where there is a greater incidence of sunlight. Lenses with ultraviolet protection are essential to keep your eyes protected.
- Polycarbonate: These are the strongest and most impact resistant types of lenses. In addition, some lenses have other features such as UV and UVB protection, anti-scratch and anti-fog.
Below, we summarize the characteristics of each coating:
Swimming goggles vary widely. It is possible to find adult models in the market starting at R $ 7. But it is worth mentioning that not always buying a more economical model will be worth it.
If you are going to use the glasses only once, there is no need to invest in a model with more quality and high prices. However, if your intention is to practice swimming as a sport or leisure, consider other options. Professional glasses, for example, cost from R $ 39, and can reach up to R $ 1,000.
Where to buy?
You can find swimming goggles in physical stores specializing in aquatic products, in utility stores. In stores like Decathlon for example, you can find several sporting goods.
It is also possible to find swimming goggles in online department stores, such as Amazon among others.
Purchasing criteria: Factors to compare models of swimming goggles
Before purchasing your swimming goggles it is important to find out your profile. Will you swim in open spaces or indoors? In the pool or in the sea? Are you a professional swimmer or just swimming for pleasure?
Your answers will define your profile and guide you in choosing the ideal model. So, check out some details that need to be taken into account:
- Optical correction lenses
- Lens colors
- Mirrored lenses
- Professional or beginner
We will detail each of these items, so that you can make the best choice when buying your swimming goggles.
Optical correction lens
Those who cannot see well know how bad it is to swim without prescription glasses or wearing contact lenses. The alternative, in these cases, is the optical correction lenses.
Some brands already offer these lenses for swimming goggles. The degree options range from 0.50 to 20.00 positive or negative degrees. If you have different degrees in each eye, know that it is possible to contact the stores and request to change the degree of each lens.
A detail that may go unnoticed by novice swimmers is the color of the lenses of the swimming goggles. The lens used in a low-light location is different from that used in brighter places.
Therefore, it is advisable to purchase an ideal model for the place where you are going to swim. If you intend to swim in different places, it is recommended to purchase different models for each place.
Clear lenses are ideal for indoor environments, with artificial light or low light and for places where the water is dark. This model of lens ensures more visibility, because it lets more light through and thus the swimmer can better see what is around him.
The types of colors indicated in this case are:
- Transparent and Green: they are widely used in low light environments, as they allow a lot of light to enter. This way it is possible to see colors and lights with less distortion. These lenses hardly change the natural vision of the eyes.
- Yellow and orange: these lens colors make the environment more visible and brighter. They highlight contrasts and improve the perception of depth.
Dark colored lenses are indispensable in environments with a lot of light, brightness and direct exposure to the sun. The function of this type of lens is to protect the eyes from excess light. The most suitable models in this case are:
- Smoked : swimming goggles of this color reduce the luminosity and cause almost no distortions, allowing a more natural perception of colors.
- Blue : the lenses of this color help to reduce glare and water reflection. In addition to providing a clear view and a lot of contrast.
Mirrored lenses are recommended for places where the light is intense, especially in outdoor environments with direct sunlight.
The metallic effect of the lenses causes the light to be reflected, ensuring more protection to the eyes. It is worth mentioning that this type of lens causes some considerable distortions.
They should be avoided in environments with less light, as they can hinder your visibility.
Professional or beginner
Swimming goggles have specific technologies for different needs. It is no use for a beginner swimmer to buy glasses for a professional athlete, they are completely different needs.
And you can probably end up wasting money, as models for top athletes cost more. Check out professional swimmer Gustavo Borges showing, in practice, how to choose a swimming goggle:
Swimming goggles for beginners
For beginner swimmers or those who practice the sport only once in a while, for fun, investing in models with double silicone strap that provide good adaptation and comfort during the activity will be ideal.
The lenses of these glasses are flat and the gaskets are on the inside, promoting more sealing.
In some glasses the frame and the tip of the nose are joined. To avoid discomfort, opt for glasses with removable nostrils. Some models have nostrils in three different sizes offering a better fit on the face.
Considered intermediate glasses, these models are quite comfortable and are a good option for beginners, intermediate athletes and triathletes.
Professional swimming goggles
In the case of professional athletes, the choice of glasses is directly linked to performance in the tests. Therefore, it is necessary to choose light models, but at the same time offer good fixation on the face, to prevent the glasses from escaping at the start.
To ensure that the glasses do not escape, it is necessary to choose models with strips of silicone with greater support area on the back of the head, as it gives more stability.
A model quite appreciated by top athletes are the so-called Swedish glasses. They are smaller than the other types of glasses and fit better in the eyeball giving more protection.
They are light, with low profile to reduce drag and coated suction cups that improve suction. They also have a fully adjustable nose tip.
best swimming goggles for kids
best swim goggles for competition
best swimming goggles with nose cover
swimming goggles for adults
best anti fog swim goggles
speedo vanquisher 2 0 swim goggle
speedo swim goggles
What are the best swimming goggles to buy?
How do I choose swim goggles?
What color swim goggle lens is best?
What swim goggles does Michael Phelps use?
Do swimmers have big thighs?
Why do swimmers wear two caps?
Should I wet my goggles before swimming?
How long should swim goggles last?
Are swimming goggles bad for your eyes?
Why do female swimmers not shave their legs?
Does wearing swim goggles cause wrinkles?
Are mirrored goggles better?