Absorbent: What is the best in 2022?
In today’s article we will help you choose a personal hygiene item that is present in the routine of most women: the absorbent.
Available in several versions and models, the absorbent has been improving its technology every day more to ensure practicality, freedom, safety and comfort for women to perform their routine activities during the menstrual period.
In this Review we will give you tips on how to choose the ideal absorbent for each situation and flow intensity, as well as presenting the best options on the market and what to consider to choose the perfect absorbent for your needs.
First, the most important
- As it is a product that will have prolonged contact with a sensitive and delicate region, it is important that the absorbent is chosen based on quality, taking into account the usage instructions for each model.
- Brand, model, type of material, size, indication of use, coverage, among other product characteristics must be considered at the time of purchase
- Sold in packs, the absorbents can cost less than R $ 0.50 a unit, reaching more than R $ 100, in the case of reusable models.
You may also like:
- Intimate soap: Discover which are the best of 2022?
- Baby wipes: How to choose the best in 2022?
- Breast pad: How to choose the best in 2022?
Variations in mood, colic, swelling and indisposition are constant companions of some women in their menstrual periods. And they are bad enough that there is still concern about leaks, stained clothes and other discomforts that an inappropriate tampon can cause.
Follow our Purchase Guide to learn everything about this product and know how to choose the perfect version to guarantee you peace of mind and safety to perform all the tasks you want during menstruation.
What is the absorbent?
The absorbent is an intimate hygiene product for women in their menstrual period. Basically made of cotton, it can be of the internal or external type.
The product aims to absorb and retain the blood expelled by menstruation, preventing it from reaching the clothes and surfaces where the woman will settle.
For at least 2500 years, women have been looking for ways to contain menstrual blood. The first record dates from the period between 460 and 310 BC, where the Greek Hippocrates, father of medicine, mentions a menstrual protection used at the time, although without giving details.
Until the beginning of the 20th century, the most common method was “wipes”. Only in the 19th century did absorbents similar to the current ones appear in Germany. In 1930, received the first version of disposable absorbent in the country’s history, the famous Modess.
In 1933 the tampon was patented in the United States, although it only landed here 4 decades later, under the brand OB
What are the advantages of using an absorbent?
Hygienic, practical and accessible are among the most efficient methods to contain menstrual flow today. With a wide variety of brands, sizes, models and levels of absorption, disposable pads are still the preference of the majority of the world’s female population.
The product gives women freedom to do all kinds of activities, even going to the beach, club, pool, playing sports and physical activities during menstruation, without worrying about the mess and dirt that bleeding could cause in these situations.
However, like disposable diapers, the use of absorbents generates worrying impacts on the environment. The use of disposable absorbents generates, on average, 150kg of non-recyclable waste considering the consumption of an ordinary woman throughout her fertile life.
In addition, the non-breathable plastic materials and chemicals used in the manufacture of the absorbents can deregulate the vaginal pH, making the region hot and humid and more susceptible to developing fungi, bacteria and infections in general.
Models with perfume or odor neutralizers are even more dangerous. They contain a high level of chemical compounds, which can cause irritation and allergies.
- Affordable prices
- Practical, hygienic and disposable
- Wide range of brands
- There are versions for different intensities of menstrual flow
- Most models are not biodegradable
- Usage can cause allergies and irritations
- External absorbers drown out the region and deregulate the pH
Internal or external: what is the best absorbent option?
Although the market today offers alternatives to traditional pads, such as the menstrual cup, absorbent panties and reusable pads, traditional disposable pads, for indoor and outdoor use, remain the most popular.
But the choice of the ideal version, of course, varies greatly from one woman to another. To choose the preferred one, there is no escape: You have to experiment. Some women feel safer with larger models, and with flaps. Others prefer more discreet versions.
The question, of course, also depends on the intensity of each menstrual flow. The absorbent is the one with the greatest variation in sizes, brands and models available on the market, and is also the preferred type for daily use by women.
But be careful: if you have sensitive skin and are prone to irritation, avoid models with perfume and odor blockers. These components are largely responsible for allergies and irritations.
The tampon is more popular for use on exceptional occasions. To go to the beach, club or gym, it is the ideal option. Less prone to leaks, this model offers less risk of allergies, as it does not cause stuffiness or friction with the vulva.
Another difference is that they are free of perfume and odor blockers, recurrent causes of irritation. Check the comparative table between the two types:
How much does it cost and where to buy an absorbent?
Normally sold in packs, absorbents can cost less than R $ 0.50 a unit, reaching more than R $ 100 a unit in the case of reusable models. The so-called economic packages, which have more units of the product, tend to have more advantageous prices.
Make sure that the chosen package offers the best cost benefit. The ideal time to compare prices is to calculate the unit value, dividing the value of the package by the number of absorbents contained in the package.
Absorbents are a basic necessity product, so they are very easy to find for sale in physical stores, pharmacies and drugstores, markets and supermarkets and department stores.
They can also be purchased at e-commerce stores such as Amazon where it is even possible to order the product in larger quantities at wholesale price.
Purchasing criteria: How to compare absorbent models
Now that you know a little more about the absorbents, let’s list below some characteristics that you must analyze in the model you are interested in to make the right choice. Are they:
For the avoidance of doubt, we will detail each topic:
There are several absorbent models available on the market today. Check out some characteristics and directions for use of each one:
- Daily: for when the flow is weak. It can be used daily as a panties protector, although the practice is discouraged by doctors, as it hinders sweating in the region, facilitating irritations and infections.
- Special formats: with tapered, extra-thin or flexible flap ends, they are made for specific occasions, such as the use of thong, tight clothes or sports.
- Nighttime: to sleep, it has a capacity for 8 to 10 hours of use. With a more elongated and robust shape, it can also be used on a daily basis, for intense flows.
- Postpartum: longer compared to the night, the length extends from the pelvis to half the buttocks. With greater absorption capacity, it is ideal for the intense flow that is natural after the woman gives birth.
- Geriatric: more robust than postpartum. Indicated for cases of mild to moderate urinary incontinence, postpartum and postoperative.
- Biodegradable: made with natural and organic materials, without adding chemicals, they are hypoallergenic and do not generate polluting residues.
The cover is the last layer of the absorbent, which has direct contact with the skin. It can be dry or soft. Know:
- Dry cover: porous surface, absorbs the flow quickly, keeping it inside the absorbent and away from contact with the skin. It is usually made of plastic material and derivatives, which can cause discomfort, irritation and diaper rash.
- Soft cover: comfortable to touch, made of cotton, cellulose or natural materials that less harm the skin. They have slower absorption, which may give the sensation of humidity. It is not ideal for heavy flows.
With the exception of the internal models – which remain in place thanks to the anatomy of the vaginal canal – the absorbents are attached to the panties by means of adhesive strips.
For those who want extra security, there are flap versions. In addition to the central adhesive strip, they have side adhesive strips that attach to the bottom of the panties, providing greater adhesion.
Flapless versions also have a central adhesive strip. They are ideal for those who feel discomfort with the flaps, or do not suffer from the displacement of the absorbent.
In general, in addition to the external packaging, the absorbents are also individually wrapped, so that they can be transported in bags and necessaries without being exposed to dirt and contamination.
Some external absorbent models have a small adhesive on the individual package, which has the function of closing the package for the disposal of used absorbents.
People Also Search For
best towel brands
best bath towels reddit
pottery barn towels
microfiber cloth super water absorbent
water absorbent kitchen towel
super absorbent towel for hair
best water absorbing cloth
super absorbent bath towel
pampers swaddlers overnight
huggies overnight size 4
diaper booster pads
hello bello overnight diapers
best cloth diapers
best all-in-one cloth diapers
bambino mio diapers
babymoon cloth diaper review
reusable diapers amazon
best cloth diaper inserts
hydrocotton quick-dry towels
frontgate resort cotton bath towels
best bath towels
best bath towels on amazon
brooklinen super-plush bath towels
People also ask
What are the best quality towels to buy?
What are the best absorbent bath towels?
Which is better Turkish or Egyptian cotton towels?
What is the most absorbent cotton?
What is the most absorbent?
What is the most absorbent thing in the world?
Why are Turkish towels so good?
What are the most absorbent towels made of?
How do you pick a good quality bath towel?
How often should you replace your towels?
Are Turkish bath towels the best?
What are the most luxurious towels?
What brand of towels do hotels use?
What is the softest most absorbent bath towel?
Are expensive towels worth it?
Why are new towels not absorbent?
Where is the best place to buy towels?
Are Hotel Collection towels good?
Is it OK to use the same towel for a week?
Should I buy white or colored towels?
What is the best color for bath towels?
How do you make cotton towels more absorbent?
Are bamboo towels absorbent?
Why do my towels smell?
What are the best Turkish towels?
Is 700 GSM towels good?
What towels are the softest?
Which fabric is most absorbent?
What is the most absorbent natural material?
What absorbs water the best?
Which is more absorbent cotton or silk?
What are the most absorbent cloth diaper inserts?
Why is Bounty paper towels more absorbent?
What absorbs water quickly?
Which material does not absorbs water?
Which absorbs more water cotton or wool?
Do Turkish towels dry fast?
Are Turkish towels more absorbent?
Can you put Turkish towels in the dryer?