Rabbit feed: How to choose the best one in 2022?
If you have rabbits or a pet bunny and are in doubt about what is the best food to offer to the big ears, this article is for you. In it we will talk about rabbit food, the best option for a balanced and nutritious menu for rodents.
Follow us until the end of this reading and check out the best product options, in addition to the features you should pay attention to in order to make the best food choice for your pet.
First, the most important
- Rabbit feed is manufactured especially for this species of rodents, with the texture, ingredients and nutrients suitable for the animal.
- Composition, package size, line and indications for use are some of the characteristics to be observed at the time of purchase.
- The values of rabbit food vary according to the brand, composition and size of the product package. It is possible to find rations of 500g for less than R $ 10, while larger packages can cost hundreds of reais.
You may also like:
- Hamster cage: Find out how to choose the best model in 2022?
- Shipping box: How to choose the best one in 2022?
- Pet bed: What is the best for your pet in 2022?
Best rabbit feeds: Our recommendations
Every rabbit owner should know how important a balanced diet is for their pet’s health. Therefore, it is essential to choose the healthiest and most nutritious versions of animal feed. Check out our list with a selection of some of the best rabbit feed options on the market:
- The best fruit-based food
- Option with Yucca extract, to reduce stool odor
- The best option enriched with vitamins
There is nothing more rewarding than watching our pet grow up in a healthy and happy way. For this, a balanced and regulated diet is essential. And with rabbit food having control over the correct intake of vitamins and minerals necessary for the health and well-being of rodents is much easier.
Check out our Buying Guide to learn everything about rabbit food and know how to choose the best brand and flavor to compose your pet’s food.
What is rabbit feed made of?
The ingredients used in the manufacture of rabbit feed may vary according to the brand, flavor and type of feed. In general, the formulas are composed of fruits and vegetables and other natural ingredients combined in a nutritionally appropriate way for the species.
Good diets are those rich in fiber, which help in the intestinal regulation and in the prevention of digestive diseases. Food also needs to be rich in amino acids, which aid in growth.
Did you know? Carrots are not the ideal food for rabbits. Despite being suitable for rodent feeding, it must be offered sparingly.
Rich in sugar, it can cause liver and intestine damage, overweight and dental problems in the animal if ingested in excess.
Is feed ideal for my rabbit?
Although the rabbits’ diet should be formed, mainly of hay, fresh fruits and vegetables, the feed is the ideal product to complement this menu.
With the feed, your pet receives the necessary amounts of vitamins and minerals.
Tailored for these animals in their various stages of development, it is with the ration that you will have the guarantee that your pet is receiving the necessary amounts of vitamins, minerals and amino acids necessary for its development and maintenance of health.
Seek professional help to choose the ideal food for your pet, and don’t forget to offer complementary food. Greens and green leaves – the darker the better – are great options, as they have more concentrated nutrients. Abuse of spinach, chard, broccoli, banana leaves, cabbage, among others.
But beware! The following are prohibited foods for rabbits:
- Dried or syrup fruit ;
- Seeds and cereals;
- Vegetables (pumpkin, eggplant, chayote, cucumber, pepper, tomato, among others);
- Sugar, barley, salt, fat and starch ;
- Dog or cat food;
- Lettuce, cauliflower or curly parsley;
- Potato, onion and garlic;
- Avocado and sour citrus fruits , such as orange, grapefruit and lemon;
- Tomato, tea and bamboo leaves.
What is the advantage of feeding animals with rabbit food?
In addition to the great advantage of ensuring adequate intake of nutrients and minerals, rabbit food also contributes to the care of oral health and the teeth of small rodents.
Practical and inexpensive, rabbit feed is consumed in small quantities, so it tends to have a good yield, thus making it an economical option to provide a balanced diet for your rabbit.
It confirms some more advantages and disadvantages of the product:
- Ensure daily amounts of vitamins and minerals
- There are versions for each phase of the animal’s life
- Practical and economical
- Various flavors
- Bulk versions may have impaired nutritional properties
How much feed should I give my rabbit?
The ideal amount of feed varies according to the species, size and age of your rabbit. Although most of the rations bring in their packaging instructions for the portions indicated for each animal, each pet has its peculiarities.
The rabbit should not be offered larger portions of feed than it can consume in 20 minutes.
Therefore, the ideal is to consult a veterinarian to have personalized recommendations on the ideal amounts for the pet’s daily diet. But, in general, the rabbit should not be offered larger portions of feed than he can consume in 20 minutes. For adult rabbits the feed should be offered once a day.
Puppies, pregnant rabbits and animals in a fattening period need special feeding routines, which must be prescribed by a specialist. In addition to the right amount of feed, other precautions must be taken with food so that pets are always healthy. Check out tips:
- Always leave plenty of clean , fresh water available to the animal;
- In addition to the feed, offer hay to encourage chewing;
- Rabbits love candy , so offer small portions of fruit as a treat, sporadically. Do not exceed the amount of one tablespoon of fruit for each 2.5 kg of the animal’s weight;
- Prefer extruded feed , which helps to keep your teeth in the ideal size;
How much does it cost and where to buy rabbit feed?
Rabbit feed prices vary according to the brand, composition and package size of the product. It is possible to find rations in small packages of 500g for less than R $ 10, while bags larger than 15kg or 20kg can cost hundreds of reais.
You can buy feed for your rabbit in physical stores that specialize in pet products, Even in agricultural supplement stores. It is also possible to buy in e-commerce stores Amazon.
Purchasing Criteria: How to Compare Rabbit Feed
To conclude this article with a flourish and help you to choose without error the best food for your rabbit, we will present some special characteristics of the product, which you should be aware of when comparing products. Are they:
- Package Quantity
Each brand and type of rabbit food has a composition. It is very important to pay attention to the formula of the chosen product to ensure that it will be able to provide the doses of vitamins and minerals that the pet needs.
In addition to vitamins and minerals, rabbits need fiber and amino acids. Low-fiber diets can cause diarrhea, and amino acid deficiency can cause growth problems, weight loss and low immunity.
Good rations must have in their composition:
Rabbit feed can be extruded or pelleted. Know:
- Extruded: It is the ration obtained by the process of cooking the ingredients under high pressure, humidity and temperature. It has less water content in its composition, and is more palatable. It has uniform granules, which are complete in composition and help in the animal’s digestive process;
- Pelletized: is the feed obtained through the compaction of ingredients, which forms small granules called pelets. This type does not guarantee much homogeneity of ingredients, and tends not to be a good option for rabbits, who end up developing the habit of “picking” only the most tasty ingredients in the feed.
Rabbit feed can be found in packs ranging from a small amount of 500g to large bags of 20kg or more. Try to buy only enough for consumption in a period of 1 to 2 months. So you prevent the feed from getting old and losing nutrients.
In addition, give priority to rations sold in sealed packages. The options sold in bulk, despite having lower prices, are susceptible to contamination and may lose their nutritional properties due to direct exposure to air, moisture and heat.
One last aspect to be evaluated is the line of feed to be offered to your rabbit. It is essential to consider a specific diet for each phase: Puppies and adults, as well as periods of fattening and pregnancy. The indications are:
- For puppy rabbits: Extruded feed with special formula for puppy rabbits. It can be used from weaning to 9 months of age;
- Adult and senior rabbits: Common feed, pelleted or extruded, according to the animal’s preference;
- For fattening: Specific pelleted feed for fattening phase.
- For pregnancy / lactation: In this phase, the conventional ration with which the rabbit is accustomed can be maintained. However the quantities need to be changed. From the second half of gestation, the amount of feed offered should be doubled, and during breastfeeding the portion should be tripled until weaning occurs;
best rabbit feed formula
rabbit food list
best vegetables for rabbits
what not to feed rabbits
what vegetables can rabbits eat
best rabbit food
what do rabbits eat and drink