Sieve: how to choose the best one in 2022?
In today’s article, we will help you choose a utensil that can be multifunctional in the kitchen: the sieve.
Extremely practical and easy to use, the sieve can be useful in preparing cakes, pasta, drinks, to sprinkle and decorate various preparations, homogenize liquid, powder, solid ingredients, among many other functions. The modern versions have innovative and colorful designs, being a Must-Have item in any kitchen.
Follow us on this reading and check out the best options of the product, in addition to the features you should pay attention to in order to make the best sieve choice for your kitchen.
First, the most important
- The sieve is a practical and effective product, which can have several uses for the cook. In order to guarantee all the benefits that this item can offer, the right choice is essential.
- The ideal material and model of the sieve should be defined based on the intended use and the user’s profile. The choice will be decisive for the durability and efficiency of the product. Sophisticated sieves can add other features, which is an advantage for those who want to avoid excess utensils in their kitchen.
- Easy to be found, the sieve can be purchased for less than R $ 5 in the most basic models. More sophisticated models, with extra features and accessories, can cost more than R $ 50.
You may also like:
- Blender: How to choose the best in 2022?
- Mixer: What is the best for your kitchen in 2022?
- Kitchen scale: How to choose the best in 2022?
Best sieves: Our favorites
- Excellent white polypropylene sieve
- Stylish stainless steel sieve
- A very resistant stainless steel sieve
- Excellent resistant pan and in various sizes
So, did you like our suggestions for not squeezing anymore when it comes to straining juice or sprinkling a fresh cake?
Now let’s go to our Buying Guide, which will bring the necessary information for you to choose the ideal sieve model and, who knows, execute your recipes even more perfectly with the help of the new accessory.
What is the sieve and what exactly is it for?
The sieve is a kitchen utensil formed by a ring where thin filaments are fixed forming a weft. The function of the product is to separate elements of solid consistency from the liquid part or to homogenize ingredients, separating and removing particles, residues or larger pieces contained in the sieved portion.
The most common models of kitchen sieve are equipped with handles and hooks to facilitate handling and provide support over pots, bowls and other utensils where separate content is deposited.
What are the uses and advantages of a sieve?
Every self-respecting cook has at least one sieve from his arsenal of utensils. The range of uses for the utensil is wide, but we will give some examples:
- Sieve dry ingredients: the sieve removes moisture and removes possible impurities from dry ingredients such as sugar, tapioca, flour, starch, yeast, cornmeal, etc. Sifted ingredients come together more easily, and provide smooth and homogeneous doughs for making cakes, doughs, sauces etc;
- Sprinkle: it helps to distribute dry ingredients in a uniform and controlled way, to decorate, grease, or finish preparations.
- Sieve moist ingredients: to obtain fruit pulps, juices, vitamins, sauces and also jellies, jams, candied candies, mousses and cake fillings. It is also used to sift eggs, removing the film that causes a strong smell in the ingredient;
- Beverage production: for the separation of husks, marcs and pits, in the manufacture of concentrated, whole juices, soft drinks, liqueurs, vinegars and wines, and also in the filtration of craft beers;
- Dairy production: in the extraction of whey for the production of cheese, yogurt, sour cream, butter, curd, among others.
Very versatile, the sieve can be used with almost any preparation or ingredient that needs refinement, straining or filtering in the kitchen. Available in several models, configurations and materials, it is an affordable product, with a good cost benefit, since it is usually quite durable. Check the table advantages and disadvantages of the product:
How to choose the right sieve model for you?
For the choice of the sieve model to be right, the ideal is that it is based on the combination of the buyer’s personal preference with the intended use for the utensil and the profile of the people who will use the product.
For preparing recipes in large quantities, for example, small models and short handles are not ideal. Imagine sifting kilos of ingredients through a sieve the size of a cup of coffee? Nothing functional! Choose the sieve in size and proportions that match the most common uses in your kitchen.
If you choose plastic models, choose dark colors, as some materials can stain in contact with acidic ingredients. If you plan to use your sieve also with hot preparations, make sure that it can withstand high temperatures.
Finally, check the possibilities for cleaning your sieve, especially if you use dishwashers. Some materials are not suitable for this use and may acquire stains and deformities.
How much does a sieve cost?
The price of a sieve varies widely according to model, brand, material, and product details. It is possible to find basic sieves very affordable, for less than R $ 5. More sophisticated models, with special materials and more than one function, can cost more than R $ 100.
Where to buy a sieve?
You can buy your pasta picker at physical home appliance stores, However, it is by shopping on the internet that you can find a greater variety of brands and models of the product, taking advantage of the convenience of e-commerce sites such as Amazon.
Purchasing criteria: how to compare the sieve models
Choosing your sieve is a task that may seem trivial, but some precautions are necessary for you to choose well. Some characteristics are fundamental in a quality product, for example:
Below we will detail these characteristics so that you can better identify the sieve you want to buy.
The materials most commonly used in the manufacture of kitchen sieves are stainless steel, plastic, and nylon. Some models may come with details in silicone, acrylic, rubber or other material on the handle, to provide the necessary ergonomic rigidity for the utensil handle.
Choose according to your preference, as well as the type of material you use at home. Thus, the same care given to other utensils will be necessary for your sieve. Avoid models in which the parts of direct contact with food are made of a material that is liable to stain or to smell or taste, as is the case with some types of plastic.
Used for food, decorations and drinks, sieve is an extremely versatile item
The size of kitchen sieves is measured by diameter and can vary from 7 cm circumferences to larger models with a 20 cm circumference. Standards, however, may vary depending on the make and model of the product.
The greater the circumference of the sieve, the greater the number of ingredients it will be able to accommodate and sieve at the same time.
The sieves, in addition to varying in size, also vary in the measures of the opening of the weft or mesh. Screen meshes are generally specified in “meshes per linear inch” (MPL) or in millimeters.
The tighter the weave, the more refined the sieving result will be. The more narrowly woven sieves are ideal for use as a small particle strainer and in small quantities, while the more open sieves are ideal for sifting wheat flour, for example.
There are several models of kitchen sieves, the most popular of which are with handles, circular without handles, mug type and conical ones, known as chinois. Check out the comparison table below: