Baby car seat: Which is the best in 2021?
In today’s article we will help you choose a fundamental product to safely transport babies and children: the baby car seat. Required by law, the baby car seat is a product that accompanies the child up to at least 10 years of age.
Adapted to each stage of child development, the car seats guarantee the safety and comfort of the little ones during trips, trips and other car journeys. Follow us on this reading and check out the best product options, in addition to the features you should pay attention to to make the best choice of car seat for your car.
First, the most important
- The market offers different models of baby car seats, from the simplest to the most sophisticated, and with different accessories to promote comfort. Choose based on the age or weight of the baby or child, the design and the model of the car in which the car seat will be used.
- Model, material, age indication, forms of assembly and fixation, accessories included, extra features and product dimensions are some characteristics to be considered at the time of purchase.
- There is a lot of price variation for the product, depending on the brand, model, capacity, etc. It is possible to find simple versions from R $ 100 and the most sophisticated and with different accessories can cost more than R $ 1,000.
You may also like:
- Feeding chair: What is the best for your baby in 2021?
- Rest chair: How to choose the best in 2021?
- Activity mat: How to choose the best in 2021?
The best baby car seats: Our suggestions
A comfortable and safe product, able to accommodate and keep your baby relaxed and quiet for hours in the car. It looks like a dream? But that’s what the baby car seat promises! In this section we will present the best models of the product available on the market. Check out:
Now that you have checked our selection of baby car seats, let’s go to the Buying Guide. Here you will have access to the most relevant information about the chairs such as models and directions for use, advantages and disadvantages, values, where to buy, etc.
What is the baby car seat?
The baby car seat is a mandatory vehicle safety item for babies and children up to 10 years old. It accommodates these children, whether for short trips or long trips.
The product is categorized into groups, according to the child’s age and weight, which must be respected under penalty of a fine.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the baby car seat?
The biggest advantage of the car seat is safety. Data from the NGO Criança Segura show that, if correctly installed, car seats reduce the chances of death of children and babies involved in car accidents by 70%.
It is also an important means of providing comfort to the little ones on the road. With anatomical and ergonomic shapes, the good chairs adjust to each stage of the child’s growth, providing better support and coziness for the child to rest and relax while driving.
It is difficult to mention any disadvantage in a product that values the lives of children, but some models can be quite expensive. For those who need to remove the baby car seat frequently, it can be quite heavy.
- Provide safety for children
- Make your child more comfortable on outings or trips
- There are models for every pocket
- Better and more comfortable models are still quite expensive
- They are heavy
- They are difficult to clean
What are the different types of baby car seats?
As the baby car seat is a product intended for babies and children, it should be evaluated in all its aspects much more carefully than other products before purchase. This assessment can make all the difference to ensure the safety and satisfaction of the little ones who will use it.
They are categorized into groups, according to the appropriate age and weight for use. An inadequate car seat compromises the child’s safety and comfort. See the table below:
Also, check if the way of fixing the seat is compatible with the vehicle where it will be used. A properly secured chair should not move more than 2 cm to either side when forced to move.
How much does a baby car seat cost?
It is possible to find baby car seats with great price variation, depending on the product brand, model, material of manufacture, the accessories included and the extra features it offers.
There are models for more than R $ 1,000, but it is also possible to find simpler types for less than R $ 100. Evaluate the prices of the chosen model in the different brands available in the market to guarantee the best cost-effective purchase.
Where to buy a baby car seat?
You can buy your baby car seat at physical stores that sell children’s products. However, where there will be greater availability of established brands and models it will be in online stores, such as Amazon.
Purchasing Criteria: Factors for comparing baby car seat offers
Not always the best and most complete product on the market will be the most ideal for you, your needs and goals. Therefore, we will introduce you to topics on the characteristics you should pay attention to in order to choose the seat that best meets your expectations.
- Ease of use
Check each of these factors in detail now.
The first item to be observed is the quality seal of Inmetro (National Institute of Metrology, Quality and Technology), which certifies that the product was approved in all tests to which it was submitted by the regulatory body.
the NBR 14400 standard of ANT ( Association of Technical Standards) regulates these products.
Tip: Make sure that the chosen product meets all the requirements of this standard, especially if you choose imported chairs.
As already mentioned, baby car seats are categorized into 4 groups, according to the child’s weight and age capacity. Are they:
- Group 0+ : Children up to 12 months or 13 kg;
- Group I : Children from 12 months to 4 years of age and weighing between 9 and 18 kg;
- Group II : Children from 4 to 10 years old and weighing between 15 and 25 kg;
- Group III : Children between 4 and 10 years old, weighing between 22 and 36 kg.
Baby car seat models are also divided according to the child’s weight and age. There are models that serve more than one group. Check out:
- Baby comfort : Also known as a convertible car seat. Serves group 0+ up to 13 kg. They recline well and should be used with the baby with his back to the driver. Ideal to be easily removed and carry the baby out of the car.
- Safety chair : Also known as a reversible chair, there are models that accommodate children from Groups 0+ and Group I, weighing up to 18 kg and aged up to 4 years. They can be used both in the position where the baby is facing away from the driver – the most suitable in the first months – and with the baby in front – position indicated from 9 kg.
- Lift seat : Also called a “booster”. They act as lifting platforms that allow the child to sit in a higher position to use the car’s seat belt in the proper position. Attends from group II onwards. There are versions with and without backrest.
There are also models that convert with the removal of some parts or configuration changes. These versions are ideal to accompany the child’s growth without the need to buy new products.
Transporting babies and children, the chances of the car seats getting dirty are great. Most models provide for the constant need to clean the car seats, and use washable materials and on models where the fabric part can be removed for washing. Fabrics with waterproof treatments are also good options.
Proper attachment is as important or more important as the seat model. The main ways of fixing baby car seats are:
- Seat belt : In modern chairs it is used as a complement to the fastening systems. It is used alone, basically, only in cases of lifting seats.
- Isofix System : International standard, the system has become mandatory in cars manufactured from 2018. It has two anchoring parts that are part of the car chassis. The fixing is done by fitting the bars of the seat to these rings. It can be complemented by a fixation at the top by means of Top Tether (considered Universal) or with Support Foot (semi-universal). In larger chairs, it is usually used in conjunction with the seat belt.
- Latch System : Standard used in the USA, Latch is similar to Isofix. It consists of two flexible hooks that attach to the anchors on the rear seat of cars equipped with the system. The used models facing forward also have a fastening strap at the top, called Top Tether.
The baby will spend long periods in his car seat, where they will nap, rest and play. So it is essential that she is comfortable. There are models that, in addition to traditional quilts, offer accessories such as adjustable shoulder and neck support, cushions, etc.
Another good option is side impact protection. In addition to making the little ones more comfortable, they add an extra level of safety, cushioning possible impacts.
Ease of use
Practicality is an important point in the car seats. Some models for younger children come with a base that is fixed in the car, allowing the seat to be easily placed and removed, which facilitates movement.
The child’s attachment method should also be facilitated by the model. Avoid belts and latches that are difficult to adjust, which can irritate the child and make life difficult for adults.