Cutlery: How to choose the best in 2021
Today we are going to talk about the cutlery, an essential item in a home and one of the items that most demands care when choosing.
There are cutlery options for all tastes and pockets. These cutlery can be made from different materials and sold in sets with varying quantities of pieces.
With the right cutlery set you guarantee quality when serving the table to your family and friends. To choose the ideal cutlery, check out the information we have prepared in this article.
First, the most important
- You find cutlery for families of all sizes. The sets can come with varying quantities of pieces and serve four, five, six or twelve people.
- Cutlery cutlery is usually made of stainless steel, but you can find sets with the addition of nickel and chrome. Cutlery can also be made of silver.
- In addition to basic cutlery, such as forks, knives and spoons, cutlery can come with other items such as dessert cutlery and serving pieces.
You may also like:
- Cutlery: How to make the best choice in 2021?
- Knife set: Which are the best of 2021?
- Chef’s knife: What’s the best in 2021?
The best cutlery models: Our favorites
To help you choose good cutlery, we have made a selection of the best cutlery sets. You find basic, modern, and classic pieces. Then just plan the next special dinner.
- The best cutlery option for large families
- The best gourmet cutlery option
- The best cutlery option for everyday use
- The ideal cutlery for gift giving
Are you making a list of wedding gifts? Do you want to renew your cutlery? Do you want to give a gift to a couple of friends? Or just don’t want to serve meals with cutlery that don’t match each other anymore?
In any of these cases, we suggest that you invest in a flatware. To find out what this set of cutlery is for, what the benefits are and how to choose the ideal one, read this Buying Guide.
What is cutlery?
Cutlery is an important tool in our daily lives. Forks, knives and spoons vary in size and shape, depending on the utility: slicing meat, eating soup, eating a dessert, etc.
The cutlery is nothing more than a complete set of cutlery of the same material and brand, which includes forks, knives, spoons and some utensils used to serve food.
You will find simple cutlery for daily use and sophisticated sets for special occasions. These sets can serve groups of four to twelve people. The number of pieces changes from one model to another.
What items make up a cutlery?
The main items in a cutlery are knives (with or without saw), forks, table spoons (also called soup spoons), teaspoons and dessert forks.
Larger cutlery can also come with some cutlery used to serve food such as:
- Shells: For beans or for broths / sauces (it is slightly smaller and has a less angled handle)
- Spoon to serve rice: It is bigger and has an elongated handle
- Cutlery for serving salad: One is shaped like a rounded fork with wide teeth and the other is similar to a deeper spoon.
- Spatula for cutting cakes and pies: It has the sharpest tip and robust handle. You can cut pies or cakes without breaking the slices.
- Cutlery for serving pasta: It can be shaped like a tongs or a deep shell with jagged edges.
Some cutlery even comes with a pizza cutter and an ice cream picker.
Do you know what is the use of cutlery in a cutlery?
Each cutlery cutlery has a different shape and size, suitable for its purpose, so it is very important to know the use of each one. Let’s start with the different types of knives:
Is it worth buying a cutlery with a case?
The cutlery can come in a simple packaging, cardboard or plastic, or in a classic wooden case lined with velvet, inside and outside.
Many people wonder if it is worth buying a cutlery with a case, after all, the piece raises the cost of the product. The answer to that question is that it depends.If the cutlery is for daily use, you can store it in dividers in the cutlery drawer, however, if the pieces are to receive guests at home, it is worth purchasing a set with a case.
In the case, each cutlery has its support that prevents contact with the others (avoids risks). Another option is to buy or have a fabric cutlery holder made, effective and cheaper.
What care should I take with the cutlery?
To increase the durability of your cutlery set, care must be taken with the cleaning and storage of the cutlery. Use neutral detergent and the soft side of the sponge to avoid scratching the cutlery.When washing the cutlery, use neutral detergent and the soft side of the sponge to avoid scratching it. Immediately after washing the cutlery, dry them, as if they stay wet for a long time they can stain.
When storing the cutlery, care must also be taken: never leave the pieces in a damp place, as moisture removes the shine from the cutlery. Place them in the case or in the cabinet drawer.
How much does a cutlery cost?
Cutlery prices vary according to material, number of pieces and brand. To give you a better idea of prices, we research products of the same material and brand and evaluate only the price variations according to the number of cutlery:
- 12 pieces: from R $ 40;
- 24 pieces: from R $ 55;
- 36 pieces: from R $ 110;
- 42 pieces: from R $ 160;
- 72 pieces: from R $ 220;
- 91 pieces: from R $ 250.
Where to buy a flatware?
If you prefer, you can buy the product online. In addition to the virtual stores of the manufacturers themselves, you can check out large marketplaces like Amazon.
Purchase Criteria: Factors to compare the different cutlery models
Have you ever stopped to think that the cutlery set is one of the most important items in a kitchen? These utensils are at our side at every meal, helping in the preparation and tasting of food.
For this reason, it is essential to buy a flatware made with quality material, with a design that matches the other utensils and in a quantity of pieces that suits the whole family. When buying a flatware, consider the following criteria:
- Knife type
- Number of pieces
- Ease of cleaning
We will explain each of the items throughout this section.
When buying a cutlery, choose a set made of a good quality material, as the durability of the pieces will be even greater. Among the options, we can highlight the following materials:
When choosing a cutlery, consider whether the cutlery is easy to handle, that is, it fits well in your hands. Also assess the weight of the pieces. A lighter cutlery set is easy to handle and wash.
As for the format, you have two options: straight handle, a basic model that combines with different styles of crockery and drop-shaped handle, a classic model, which may have decorative carvings.
You will also find cutlery in which the handle is made of a different material than the base. Among the options are cutlery with wooden or bamboo handles, which combine with informal meals, but are difficult to clean.
Models with plastic, nylon or polypropylene handles can have a transparent, milky, colored or even printed finish, with a polka dot pattern, checkered, Portuguese tile, fruit designs and geometric shapes.
If you are looking for a model with a refined finish, you can choose a cutlery with a mother of pearl handle, a sparkling natural stone. But be aware that in addition to being more expensive, this set requires care in relation to cleaning and maintenance.
If you are looking for a cutlery set for special occasions, you can buy a gold cutlery. Made of stainless steel and gold-plated, this piece is luxurious and combines both classic and minimalist tableware.
You find cutlery with two knife options: table knife and barbecue knife. The difference between them is that the barbecue knife has a point, protruding and sharp teeth, while the table knife has a smooth saw.
The table knife has two advantages:
- Scratch the dishes less when cutting food.
- Offers a lower risk of accidents when hand washing.
However, if you are serving some type of meat or any other food that needs to be cut, prefer the barbecue knife.
A tip is to look for a cutlery with the indication that the knives have a tempered coating, this feature keeps the cutting edge for longer and prevents scratches on dishes.
Number of pieces
When choosing a cutlery, evaluate the number of pieces that come into play and take into account the number of people who live in your home and whether you usually receive guests for special moments.
- 16-piece flatware: Only comes with the most basic pieces such as forks, knives and two types of spoons (tea and soup). Ideal for families with up to four members.
- 24 pieces cutlery: It also comes with basic pieces, but it is suitable for families with up to five people.
- 36-piece cutlery : It has basic cutlery for up to six people, but comes with a few extra pieces like coffee spoons and forks for dessert.
- 42 pieces cutlery: It is ideal for families that usually receive guests. The coolest thing is that this set serves for the entire meal, from the main course to the coffee.
- 130 pieces cutlery: it is the most complete model. In addition to having the basic cutlery for 12 people, it comes with other pieces such as salad picker, sauce ladle, skimmer, etc.
Ease of cleaning
You need to evaluate the design of the cutlery at the time of purchase, as those in which the handle sticks out from the base, or has decorative notches, are more difficult to clean and can accumulate slime over time.
Our tip is that for day-to-day you prefer the “flat” cutlery, that is, those in which the handle and the tip are a single piece. Leave the cutlery with details for special occasions.