Decorative vases: How to choose the best for your home in 2021
Large, medium or small, rustic or modern, traditional or alternative. To accommodate plants, flowers, store ornaments or just fill an empty space. Whatever the model or the purpose of use, decorative vases are essential items in any room.
It is about this versatile piece that we will deal with today! We will show you here how you can use creativity to choose decorative vases and what to take into account before buying the pieces will harmonize with your decor.
First, the most important
- Decorative vases, with or without arrangements, are essential pieces to compose any type of environment.
- Nowadays it is possible to find different formats, made with different types of materials and with various functions.
- In this article, we will show you how to choose the ideal decorative vases to match your environment.
You may also like:
- Coffee table: What are the best models for your room in 2021?
- Centerpiece: How to choose the best in 2021?
- Bookcase: How to choose the best in 2021?
Ranking: The 4 best decorative vases
Amid so many options of decorative vases you may be tempted to choose what you consider the most beautiful. But it is important to remember that these pieces must harmonize with your environment.
For this reason, we have selected some decorative vases of different sizes, for all types of environments: from the most traditional, passing through the rustic to the most modern.
The decorative vases are essential pieces to compose the decoration of the rooms of your home or office. For these pieces to harmonize with the rest of the environment you need to combine knowledge and functionality.
To help you in this mission, we have created this Buying Guide with everything you need to know to choose the ideal decorative vases.
What are decorative vases?
Decorative vases are pieces, usually in the shape of a jar, that can be used in any room, as well as in entrances, corridors and outside environments.
Essentially, decorative vases have an ornamental function, and may or may not be used to store flowers and plants. Its importance in the use of decoration is so great that the history of the vases is thousands of years old.
The history of decorative vases probably started with the handicrafts of small communities in Asia and Africa, which produced clay and clay vases.
Later, and over time, decorative vases gained a prominent position among the elite in Ancient Greece.
Decorative vases were generally used with natural flowers, but since the 16th century they were also used with artificial flowers. But it was at the beginning of the 17th century that decorative vases were inserted in the great halls of palaces.
At that time they were already made with more noble materials such as marble, bronze, silver and porcelain. And, not infrequently, decorative vases, more than just complementing the decor, were the central highlight of the environment.
Since antiquity, therefore, decorative vases have become indispensable accessories in the decoration of indoor and outdoor environments, such as in large gardens.
Nowadays it is possible to find these pieces in different formats, sizes, colors, finishes, textures and materials.
Which decorative vases match each environment?
As a versatile piece, decorative vases can be used both indoors and in open areas, suspended or on the floor.
The key is that you try to reconcile the vases with the decoration of the space, in order to harmonize the combination. But that is not a rule, as this decision is very personal.
Some decorators, for example, prefer to create contrasts between the decorative objects to create an exclusive environment. Therefore, the vase can be the highlight of the room. But the risk is that you mix many colors, shapes and textures and miss the dose.
To avoid these errors, check the recommendations for combining decorative vases with different types of environments.
- Classically decorated environment : Invest in decorative vases with design and details that are also classic and more sophisticated, such as glass, crystal and ceramic.
- Environment with contemporary decor : Opt for decorative vases with simpler and minimalist shapes and details, such as metal and ceramic.
- Environment with rustic decor : Prefer the decorative vases with details and colors of traditional cultures, made of clay, clay, metal and ceramics.
In addition, you also need to define the role that decorative vases will have in the environment. This is because, as we already mentioned, these pieces can be the highlight of the room or they can have a discreet function in the decoration of the environment.
Another point that you should consider is whether the decorative vases will be on shelf tables or on the floor. This will define the size and weight of your piece. In Purchasing Criteria we will deal with this topic in more depth.
In addition to all these recommendations, we suggest that you take into account the type of environment in which the decorative vases will be placed.
Versatile, decorative vases can and should make up spaces such as the living room, dining room, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and outdoor areas.
Check below how to use the decorative vases in each of these environments.
- Rooms : In the rooms you can play with the shape of the decorative vases. They can be medium and small, if used as a centerpiece, on sideboards or on shelves. Or they can be bigger if you use them on the floor.
- Rooms : In the rooms, the most recommended are small decorative vases, which can be arranged on bedside tables or even on shelves.
- Kitchens : Decorative pots with plants and herbs are widely used by decorators in kitchens. These pieces bring life and color to the environment. The common thing is that the pots are placed on the countertops or next to windows.
- Bathrooms : The bathroom is another area where decorative vases are highlighted. Here you should ideally choose glass or plastic vases, as they are two materials resistant to moisture and are also easier to clean.
- External areas : In order to compose the external areas, whether balconies or gardens, you can abuse the combination of large, small and medium-sized vases. On the floor or suspended, decorators recommend that you use decorative pots made of ceramic, clay, clay or concrete. That’s because these materials are heavy, durable and give a rustic and handcrafted touch to the environment.
- Entrances : Whether at the entrance to the house or apartment, or even in office halls, decorative vases are always present. Here, you can dare and place large pots on the floor, with or without plants. It is also possible to insert hanging vases and even on sideboards and shelves.
- Offices : Regardless of your office decoration theme, you can and should abuse decorative vases. However, choose medium and small parts. They can either compose your work table or be displayed on shelves and side tables.
What are the advantages of decorative vases?
The advantages of decorative vases are many. When well chosen, these pieces bring an extra touch of elegance and beauty to the home or office.
In addition to ornamentation, decorative vases can also be used to accommodate plants, flowers and herbs. The bright green will bring a feeling of calm and fresh to the environment.
In addition, decorative vases can also act as space-definers. It is possible to use these pieces to delimit a green area, create the path direction on stairs and even separate a large room into two different environments.
The prices of decorative vases fluctuate a lot, according to the size, the material of manufacture and the model. Thus, the value of the decorative vases varies between R $ 15 to R $ 10,000.
Of course, you don’t have to invest in the most expensive item. The ideal is that you can combine a good price with quality and harmony in your decoration.
Where to buy?
Decorative vases can be found in home and decoration stores, in addition to department stores and hypermarkets.
However, we recommend that you make your purchase at online stores like Amazon. That way, in addition to buying from the comfort of your home, you still find more model options and the best prices and promotions.
Purchasing criteria: Factors to consider before choosing decorative vases
As we saw in this article, the first points that you must observe before choosing your decorative vases are the environment in which the pieces will be arranged and the decoration of this place.
That done, you should stick to the factors that influence the quality, size and functionality of decorative vases.
For you to make the best purchase decision, we will show you the main factors that you should take into account before choosing the ideal decorative vases:
- Manufacturing material
- Size and Weight
Below, we will detail each of these factors so that you make the best decision when choosing decorative vases for your home or office.
The material from which the decorative vases are made will influence both durability, cleanliness and, above all, the aesthetic effect.
There is a wide variety of materials such as silver, glass, ceramics, clay, plastic and metal. Understand the characteristics of each:
- Silver : Decorative silver vases are more resistant and long lasting. This type of piece matches almost any decor and adds a touch of sophistication to the environment.
- Glass or crystal : These models are classic and you can find vases with different colors and textures. They are generally used with floral arrangements ensuring a clean and classic decor.
- Ceramics : Ceramic pots are versatile, as you can place them on the floor or on tables. With varied colors and formats they also go well in any environment.
- Plastic : Decorative plastic pots are simple and, therefore, are generally used to place plants. Even so, it is possible to innovate with different colors and formats to guarantee a more current decoration.
When choosing the shape of the decorative vases, take into account the surface where the pieces will be displayed.
It is important to look mainly at the base of the vase to ensure that it will be firm on the surface you wish to expose the piece to. Today in the market it is possible to find a huge variety of formats.
There are longer, thinner, flattened, rounded, wide vases, in classic jar or geometric shapes. Another option is hanging vases. Attached by ropes or chains, these pieces can be fixed to the ceiling and wall.
Vases with lids are great options to be used as a solitary vase. In addition, this model is also a useful model for storing small items.
Size and Weight
After defining the shape of the decorative vases, you should consider the size and weight of the pieces. If you put them on the floor, the freedom is greater, since you can choose large and heavy pots.
But when it comes to tables, shelves and sideboards, size and weight can be an issue. If the environment is small, smaller and medium decorative vases should be preferred. That’s because the large pots make the space look smaller.
For shelves, the ideal is that the pieces are lighter for support. Depending on the material, the decorative vases can be very heavy and the support structure may not support.
As we have seen, decorative vases can be used alone or also with flower and plant arrangements.
If the option is to combine decorative vases and plants, it is necessary to choose vases that suit the environment, that resist the sun and humidity.
In addition, the decorative pots must suit the size of the chosen plant. The important thing is to maintain a proportion between the pot and the plant, so that it grows in a healthy way.
In addition, decorative vases can receive other types of arrangements such as decorative objects, pebbles, stones and sand.