Fabric glue: Which is the best in 2021?
If you like to work with fabrics, stylize clothes or create your own pieces, you certainly need a fabric glue. It is an essential item for aspiring stylists and also for those who like to make repairs.
With the ability to stick one cloth to another, fabric glue is useful in creating and even patching clothes. With it, it will be much easier to give your face to garments without necessarily needing a sewing machine.
Here we will talk about what you need to know before buying your fabric glue, such as the best brands, their advantages, how much it costs and what you should pay attention to before choosing yours. Come with us!
First, the most important
- A fabric glue can rarely be used only for this purpose. Many products also offer effectiveness by gluing objects on wood, plaster, paper, among others.
- The fabric glue does not serve as a substitute for a sewing machine, but rather as a complement. They can be used in different situations.
- How to choose the best glue for fabric amid so many options? We will help you. Some items that need to be evaluated are the size of the bottle, the water resistance and if it has toxic substances.
You may also like:
- Wood glue: How to choose the best of 2021?
- Foam roller: How to choose the best model in 2021?
- Hot glue gun: What is the best option in 2021?
Best fabric glues: Our favorites
Despite being a very cheap item, it is good to know which fabric glues really provide quality before you buy yours. These are consumer favorites.
Customizing a part has never been easier. Anyone can give a new face to an old shirt, just use a fabric glue. How to choose a glue when they are all so similar?
In this section we will explain what you should pay attention to, the difference between fabric glue and sewing machine, its advantages, among others. Come with us!
What are the advantages and disadvantages of fabric glue?
To start with, fabric glue is often useful for gluing various things besides fabric. With a single glue you can stick items in plaster, wood, ceramics, cardboard, papers, leather and many others. That is, it is a multipurpose product.
In the function of gluing fabrics, it can help you personalize your pieces, stick small things to the fabrics and make minor repairs. It is also super useful when creating costumes for you or children. Let your creativity run while you use your glue tube!
Another advantage of fabric glue is that they are very cheap. You buy it and barely feel it in your pocket. Even if you don’t use it very often, it will still pay off. In addition, a tube usually lasts a long time, that is, it provides excellent cost-benefit.
One of its few disadvantages is the fact that it is not always as efficient when sewing the fabric. However, in some cases, the glue does what the needle cannot do.
- Glues fabrics and various other types of surfaces
- Helps in creating and styling your clothes
- It’s cheap, providing great cost-benefit
- They usually last a long time
- They don’t always work as well as a seam
Use fabric glue or sew?
The sewing machine or the old needle and thread are very effective in some cases. For example, it will be very difficult to create a garment from scratch using only fabric glue, unless it is a costume to be worn only one day.
However, the glue helps by breaking branches and finishing some items. Small objects, such as cases and nécessaires, for example, can be easily fixed with fabric glue.
It is also useful when styling your pieces, allowing you to nail sequins, stones and even other fabrics.
The glue, however, has a drying time and a recommendation not to be washed before at least 72 hours. This to ensure that what you glued will not loosen.
How to use fabric glue?
Using fabric glue is very simple. But, to make it even easier to handle and for you to achieve an incredible result, we have separated it step by step. Check out:
- Start by washing the fabric days before actually getting your hands dirty. So you take the gum out of the fabric and it will be ready for use.
- On craft day, separate all the materials you need. There is nothing worse than in the middle of work realizing that you forgot something and right in the middle of the collage you need to drop the fabric and run after something.
- To make a fold in the fabric, like a hem, first mark with the iron exactly where you want to glue.
- For best results, use a brush to apply the glue to the desired fabric.
- Watch out for excess glue. Gradually apply a thin layer. Better to wet the brush several times than to soak the fabric, which can leave stains on the piece.
- Press the spot for a few seconds and let it dry for 72 hours. Respect this time, hold your anxiety and in a few days your piece will be ready for use.
Fabric glues are super cheap and therefore very worthwhile. As much as you don’t like the experience or hardly use it, it’s still worth experimenting, as your pocket will hardly feel the impact.
A good bottle of fabric glue costs from R $ 5, rarely exceeding the R $ 20 range.
Where to buy?
To purchase your fabric glue online, you can find different brands and sizes on sites like Amazon among others.
If you prefer to buy yours in person, you can find in small utility stores, large markets and even construction stores.
Purchase Criteria: Factors for evaluating a fabric glue
Fabric glues, in general, are very similar. So, how to differentiate and know which one you should buy? These are some items that must be taken into account when purchasing:
- Pot size
- Water resistance
- Usefulness on other surfaces
- Presence of toxic elements
If you’re still in doubt, don’t worry! We will explain each one so that you can choose with more confidence.
If you’ve been researching fabric glues, you’ve probably noticed the myriad sizes of pots there are. Some can come with less than 50 g, others, with about 1 kg. How to choose the best one for you?
This mystery is easy to solve, just think about how much you use the fabric glue. If you use it from time to time to make a repair or another, a small bottle will be more than enough.
If you work with this or love styling clothes and even use the glue for other functions, give preference to bottles of larger sizes.
Before purchasing your fabric glue, it is essential to check that it is waterproof. Fabrics often get dirty and need to be washed. Imagine if you are going to wash a piece of clothing and it disassembles because the glue was not waterproof?
Always check that the product you have chosen is resistant and can be taken into the water after passing through the fabric. And even if it is, always prefer to wash by hand to avoid accidents.
Usefulness on other surfaces
A fabric glue is rarely used only for this purpose. Many of them are able to effectively glue objects to various other surfaces.
When choosing a product, read its packaging to find out what else the glue is able to stick to. Some are used for plaster, wood, canvas, paper and so on.
Always invest in a glue that can be useful for making other repairs to your home. Thus, you already combine the useful with the pleasant.
Presence of toxic elements
Some glues contain toxic elements that can harm you and your family. Models that are free of these substances usually have this sign in the description or on the label.
Always think about your health first of all: give preference to the fabric glues that guarantee to be free of substances that can harm you in any way.
best fabric glue for clothes
best fabric glue for silk
fevicryl fabric glue
fabric glue price
washable fabric glue
gorilla fabric glue
best fabric glue for velvet
heavy duty fabric glue
What is the strongest fabric glue?
Is Gorilla Glue good for fabric?
What can be used instead of fabric glue?
How reliable is fabric glue?
Does fabric glue come off in the wash?
What is the strongest glue in the world?
Will hot glue work on fabric?
Can you sew over fabric glue?
Can Super Glue work on fabric?
What kind of glue do you use for upholstery?
How long does fabric glue take to dry?
Is Gorilla a glue?