Cutting base: The best of 2021
. Today we are going to talk about one of the darling items among those who like to make crafts: the cut base.
As the name says, it is literally a base where you can make your cuts smoothly, without worrying about damaging surfaces such as tables, for example. In addition, it has measures so that you can make your cuts accurately.
The cutting base is used in several types of crafts, such as carton, binding, EVA, marquetry, among others. Here, we will help you discover what is the best option for you and your needs.
First, the most important
- There are several sizes of cutting base. The smaller models are more suitable for those who are just starting out and have crafts as a hobby. The A2 and A3 sizes are better for those who produce more.
- Although most cutting bases are made of plastic, each has a different quality.
- When purchasing yours, take a good look at what type of measure is in the base and if it is sufficient for your needs.
You may also like:
- Easel for painting: How to choose the best in 2021
- School scissors: How to choose the best one in 2021?
- Fabric glue: Which is the best in 2021?
Best cutting bases: Our recommendations
There are bases of different sizes, sizes and materials. Among all the options available in stores, these models are preferred by consumers.
Now you know what the best cutting bases are, but some questions still need to be answered. Here we will talk more about the measurements of the bases, their materials, their uses and sizes. Come with us!
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the cutting base?
The cutting base, as the name says, serves as a basis for you to make cuts for your crafts, whether carton, binding, EVA, marquetry, scrapbook or others.
One of its uses is to protect the furniture where you usually work. Can you imagine running the stylus through the paper or fabric on the table directly? Tragedy for sure, right? The cutting base will prevent this from happening.
In addition, because it is made of a slightly softer and more malleable material, it still has the advantage of preserving your tool, avoiding friction with hard materials that could damage it.
Another advantage of it is the measures it offers. Having to use a ruler to cut papers and fabrics is much more work. The cutting base offers measurements (usually centimeters, inches and even angles) so that you can cut precisely.
Some models, however, may not be as firm and end up marking the cuts. Therefore, always prefer good quality models.
- Protects the furniture where you work
- Prevents damage to the tool
- It has measures for you to make more precise cuts
- They are cheap
- Great value for money
- Some bases damage easily
What are the different types of cutting base?
The cutting base differs in some ways, first because of its shape. Although rectangular ones are more common, there are round bases, for example. But the main difference between them is related to their size. The main ones can be defined in size A1, A2 and A3. Check out the differences:
Size A1 : It is more suitable for those who produce a lot and are already used to using the cutting base. It will be more practical to meet high needs and demands.
- Size A2 : Measures approximately 59 cm x 42 cm, it is for those who are a little more involved with crafts. It is not necessarily performing mass production, but it does with a certain frequency.
- A3 size : This is a smaller size, suitable for those who are starting to use the cutting base. If you make crafts as a hobby, for example, without much demand, the A1 size is sufficient for your needs. As you progress in production, you can purchase larger sizes.
How to preserve your cutting base?
Between one job and another, it is normal for some spots of glue to happen on top of its cutting base. However, over time, using the stylus or other cutting tools on top of these products reduces the useful life of your base. These tips will help you conserve it for longer:
- Always use a sketch on the side of your cutting base. It can be used paper, a magazine sheet, even an EVA. Use this sketch to make the collage part.
- Even so, some spots of glue may end up appearing at the base. To remove them, you will need to place your cutting base on a flat surface and pour some warm water on top (it cannot be hot).
- After doing this, the glue will be easier to come off. Use a soft brush to remove the residue. Avoid abrasive materials, such as steel wool.
- Never leave your cutting base in the sun or on very hot surfaces. This will make her wear and never be retained again, hindering her work.
With these tips you guarantee an even greater cost-benefit for your cutting base!
The cutting bases usually cost very affordable. This will depend a lot on the technologies present, material and size of the base.
The smallest and most basic ones usually cost around R $ 30 and are recommended for those who are starting to make handicrafts now. Larger models with more technology can reach around R $ 300, more or less. If you work with it and produce a lot, it is the most suitable for you.
Where to buy?
If you chose to purchase your cutting base online, you will find several models on sites such as Amazon and other craft stores.
For those who prefer to buy in person, it is possible to find them in material and haberdashery stores, for example.
Purchasing criteria: Factors to assess a cut base
There are still some essential information that you should know before purchasing your cutting base. These are the main ones:
Want to know the details of these criteria? Keep reading!
Every cutting base has measurements on the object itself so that you can guide yourself in the cut, making it symmetrical and precise.
Some cutting bases have measurements in centimeters, inches and angles. Some, however, only come with measurements in centimeters. Choose a base that meets your measurement needs.
The vast majority of cutting bases are made of plastic, but not all plastics are the same. In some cases, like bases made of plastic resins, the material may not be as strong.
If you are starting to make crafts, it’s okay to start with a more fragile material base. However, if you produce in quantity, the ideal is to opt for cutting bases that are made of more rigid plastic, preferably with more than one layer.
For those who like to make crafts often, durability is essential. A good cutting base will last much longer and you won’t need to replace it often.
Some models have a reinforced base and regenerating technology, for example. This will prevent the base from being cut and have a longer service life. Take this into account when purchasing your model.
Although this is a more aesthetic than technical detail, leaving your environment with your face and personality also cannot be overlooked. Who doesn’t like to make the craft corner more beautiful, colorful and cozy?
There are cutting bases of the most varied colors. Green is the most common of these, but you can bet on pink, gray, among others.
self healing cutting mat
cutting mat a2
best cutting mat
tool used for cutting paper
a1 cutting mat
Which is the best cutting mat?
What is the best size cutting mat for sewing?
What is Olfa cutting mat made of?
How do you cut precisely?
Are all cutting mats self healing?
How do self healing cutting mats heal?
How do I choose a cutting mat?
When should I replace my cutting mat?
What can I use as a cutting mat?
Do cutting mats wear out?
How do you cut fabric straight?
What is a rotary cutting mat?
What is a self healing cutting mat Cricut?
How long do Cricut cutting mats last?