Hairdressing scissors: What’s the best of 2022?
Whether you are a professional, aspiring or even an amateur in the art of cutting hair, it is essential that you have the right tools to achieve a good result. Among them, the main one is in fact the hairdressing scissors.
But do you know what you need to take into account to buy a good hair clipper? In this article, we’ll show you the types and shapes of hairdressing scissors and which ones are best for sale today.
First, the most important
- A good hairdressing scissors is essential to get the cut right and to protect the threads.
- Currently it is possible to find several types of hair clippers.
- To choose the ideal one, you must analyze the inches and teeth of the accessory, as well as the type of scissors according to the purpose of the cut.
You may also like:
- Hair clipper: Learn how to choose the best one in 2022
- Portable washbasin: See how to choose the best in 2022
- Hair dryer: Which one is the best for you in 2022?
Best hairdressing scissors: Our recommendations
- The best 5.5 inch scissors
- The best laser hair scissors
- The best hairdressing scissors kit
Of course, mastering cutting techniques is important, but without a good hairdressing scissors the challenge will be even greater and the damage can be disastrous.
But as there are many models for sale, you need to know how to choose the best cutting scissors. For this, we created this Buying Guide. Next, you will be able to answer your questions about the hairdressing scissors.
Why invest in hairdressing scissors?
If you are a professional hairdresser you already know the importance of having, in addition to theoretical and practical knowledge, the right tools to guarantee the best result.
But, if you are still starting in the art of cutting hair, or just want to make the cuts at home, you must highlight the role of the main work tool: the hairdressing scissors.
The fact is that one should not use any scissors to cut the threads at risk of damaging them and still miss the cut.
The specific scissors for cutting hair, called hairdressing scissors, are manufactured with special material, design and structure to ensure the right cut and protection of the threads.
So much so that, today, you will find several models of scissors for cutting hair, and each one is specially developed for a specific type of cut and type of thread.
Not for nothing, professionals usually have more than one hairdressing scissors, precisely to meet the most varied types of hair and customers’ cutting desires.
Did you know that the life of a hairdressing scissors can reach almost a decade?
So much so that most hairdressers just change the accessory for a newer one in order to keep up with the new technologies and the newest models of scissors.
What types of hairdressing scissors?
When choosing a specific scissors to cut hair you will come across a wide variety of types and models. After all, as we have seen, each type of hairdressing scissors has a different cutting purpose.
As we will see later in this article, there are a variety of scissors that differ by size and material of manufacture.
But, the first step in understanding the different types of hairdressing scissors is to consider the style of cut. Check out the following three main types of hairdressing scissors according to the desired cut:
- Razor wire scissors : This type of hairdressing scissors has two very sharp blades. Therefore, it is ideal for those who want to fray or tease hair asymmetrically;
- Laser wire scissors : This option is recommended for those looking for precision in a straight cut without a comb. One or two of your blades have micro saws and, with that, you make the cut without letting the scissors slip;
- Thinning scissors : Also known as toothed scissors, this model is the most suitable for making cuts that reduce the volume of curly hair, as well as being ideal for finishing.
In addition to these options, there are other types, such as thermal hairdressing scissors. This type of scissors heats the blade and when cutting the hair the ends are sealed. Thus, the cut is straighter and without split ends.
What is the best brand of hair scissors?
It is clear that when choosing a hair clipper the manufacturer brand is an important aspect to consider.
As it is a work tool, experts say that the ideal is to opt for brands that have expertise in the manufacture of hairdressing accessories.
A tip is to choose brands that produce razors, due to the quality of sharpening of this type of accessory for cutting hair.
How to care for hairdressing scissors?
Although hairdressing scissors will last for years, this does not mean that this type of accessory does not need care.
After all, having sharp scissors is essential for a hairdresser’s job. So it is important that you know how to take care of your scissors.
Below, we have put together a list of the main care you should take with your hairdressing scissors so that it lasts longer and makes the best cuts. Look:
- Cleaning : When you are finished using the scissors, the ideal is to clean it. This will help not only in the next cut, but also in the hygiene and preservation of customers’ hair. Clean the scissors with a soft sponge, mild soap and warm water, and dry afterwards;
- Maintenance : To keep the hairdressing scissors sharp, lubricate the tool after washing at the end of the day. Be aware, as there is a specific cleaning oil for hair scissors;
- Protection : When you are not using your scissors, it is ideal to keep it in a specific bag for this purpose. But, if you don’t have this accessory, wrap the hairdresser’s scissors in a dry cloth;
- Usage : Experts also warn that to maintain the integrity of the hair scissors, you should never use it to cut hair that is undergoing chemical, as the product can damage the scissor blades.
How much does it cost and where to buy hairdressing scissors?
The price of a hairdressing scissors will vary according to the manufacturer brand, the type, size and technology involved. Thus, the price range of hair scissors usually varies between R $ 20 and R $ 3 thousand.
If you are a beginner choose a cheaper one. This is because the more expensive ones require more care, for example, to avoid falls and crashes.
In order to find the best price, in addition to the best brands and models, we recommend that you buy your hairdressing scissors at online stores such as Amazon Brazil.
Even so, it is possible to find national brands and more basic models in different stores, including department stores and hypermarkets, such as Casas Bahia and Extra.
Purchase Criteria: How to compare hairdressing scissors
If you have come this far, you have already realized that, when buying your hair clippers, you first need to choose the type.
But, you need to go further, and analyze other aspects if you want to purchase the best hairdressing scissors.
To help you, we have listed the main criteria that must be purchased at the time of purchase. Look:
- Manufacturing material
Next, you will understand how to analyze each of these points and ensure that you are buying the best hairdressing scissors.
The first aspect that you should take into account when buying your hairdressing scissors is the size of the accessory, which is measured in inches.
The size of the hair clippers will influence both the type of cut you will make and the comfort when holding the tool.
Therefore, the correct scissors should be comfortable in your hand, without you having to force your arm, shoulder and back too much.
This way, you will find hairdressing scissors on the market with sizes ranging from 4.5 to 8 inches.
The smaller scissors, which are between 4.5 and 5.5 inches, are the most recommended for precise, fringe cuts and styling.
Longer hair scissors, which are longer than 6 inches, are better for cutting techniques with scissors over the comb and for setting length.
Another important factor to be taken into account when choosing the best hairdressing scissors is the material that was used for its manufacture.
The material of manufacture will influence not only the durability of the accessory, but also your health, especially if you are allergic to any product such as nickel, for example.
The best material for making hair scissors is stainless steel.
Anyway, experts guarantee that the best material for making hair scissors is stainless steel.
This is because, in general, the cuts are made on damp hair and this procedure can cause the oxidation of the blades of your scissors.
In addition, it is important to consider the useful life of the hair scissors material. Stainless steel lasts, on average, two years. Scissors made of titanium can last up to ten years.
In addition to the type of scissors that differ due to the cutting purpose, it is important to observe the shape of the accessory. In this case, we can consider three types of formats: Classic, displaced and curved.
For you to make the right choice, it is important to know the characteristics that differentiate one format from another. Look:
Another aspect that you must observe when choosing the best hairdressing scissors is the handle, which can have a straight or anatomical grip.
Of course, handles with anatomical handles are more comfortable, especially if you are going to work with hairdressing scissors all day.
Be sure to also compare the factors that involve hairdressing scissors teeth.
It is important to check the number of teeth notched on the blade, the spacing between them and whether the teeth are present on both blades.