How to choose the best keyboard for beginners in 2022
The keyboard is a fascinating instrument, as there are countless possibilities for the keyboardist to participate in a song. Therefore, if you are in the mood to learn to play the keyboard or have already started your studies, you need to find the best keyboard for beginners.
As this instrument has a high price, the choice must be well evaluated, because the more information you have, the less chance you will have of buying the wrong instrument. With that in mind, we prepared an article with all the information about this instrument.
First, the most important
- The best keyboard for beginners has at least 61 touch-sensitive keys, a sound similar to that of an acoustic piano, at least 64 polyphony tones, various connections and input for sustain pedal.
- The keyboard for beginners must be from a trusted brand like Yamaha, Casio or Roland. Prices range from R $ 700 to R $ 2,200.
- Even those who intend to advance their studies or become professional in music, can use an electronic keyboard during the first year of studies.
You may also like :
- Keyboard support: How to choose the best model in 2022
- Keyboard: How to choose the best in 2022
- Digital Piano: How to choose the best model in 2022
Best Keyboard for Beginners: Buying Recommendations
Before starting music lessons, you should find the best keyboard for beginners to enjoy your studies and learn to play the musical instrument. With that in mind, we’ve selected some purchase suggestions below:
- The best keyboard for beginners with accessories
- The most complete beginner keyboard
- The keyboard for self-taught beginners
The best keyboard for beginners with accessories
Yamaha PSR-F51 Musical Keyboard + Stand + CaseRead user reviews
R $ 1,039.00
Buy on Amazon
For those who are starting music lessons, we recommend the purchase of this set with keyboard, support for the instrument and sheet music and transport cover. The model is the Yamaha PSR-F51 which contains 61 keys, 32 notes of polyphony, 114 musical styles, 30 pre-defined songs, 120 voices / tones and special effects.
The most complete beginner keyboard
Arranger Keyboard PSR-E463 Black YAMAHARead user reviews
R $ 2,235.32
Buy on Amazon
The Yamaha PSR-E463 Arranger Keyboard is one of the best models for music students at a beginner or intermediate level. The instrument has 61 touch sensitive keys, 758 tones, 48 polyphony notes and 235 styles of automatic accompaniment. Another difference is the variety of connections available.
The keyboard for self-taught beginners
Casiotone Ct-S200Rdc2-Br Vm Musical KeyboardRead user reviews
R $ 769.00
Buy on Amazon
The Casio CT-S200 musical keyboard features an LCD panel that allows you to play music without needing a score, just press the keys in the order and at the rate at which the bars are displayed on the screen. The keyboard has 61 keys, 48 tones, 400 digital effects, 60 integrated songs, 77 rhythms, among other functions. Another differential is the modern design, in three color options, black, white and red.
Are you excited to start studying music and decided to learn to play the keyboard? Then it was time to find the best keyboard for beginners. To help you on this mission, let’s show you what the most important features are on a beginner’s keyboard. Read on to find out more!
The beginner keyboard has a few different features. (Source: Soundtrap / Unsplash.com)
What are the differentials of the keyboard for beginners?
The keyboard is a very interesting instrument, as it reproduces the sound of several musical instruments, in addition to pre-programmed beats and accompaniments that allow you to play songs at different musical rhythms.
The instrument has a built-in speaker, so you don’t need an amplifier. You can also put on the headset when you are training but don’t want anyone to hear you playing.
Another advantage is that the keyboard is a portable instrument that can be taken to the music class or to presentation spaces. Discover all the advantages of a keyboard for beginners in the table below:
- Can be used at least during the first year of studies
- Reproduces the sound of different musical instruments
- Can be used by children, teenagers and adults
- Models of different brands
- It is a portable instrument
- Most affordable price
- As you progress in your studies, you may need to change the instrument
What is your purpose with keyboard studies?
To find the best keyboard for beginners, you have to understand the reason why you are studying, that is, do you want to learn to play the keyboard or do you want to start at the keyboard to learn to play the piano?
If your intention is to learn to play the piano, you need to buy a keyboard that resembles that instrument. The keyboard must contain the following characteristics:
- Contain more than 61 keys , as songs played on the piano usually use notes that a 61-key keyboard does not have. The ideal, in this case, is to buy a keyboard with 88 keys;
- Keys with piano size and weight . Some keyboard models have variation in key size and this can compromise your studies. Weight refers to the force you must use to press each key – piano keys require a little more finger strength;
- Input for sustain pedal (sustain) is responsible for maintaining the reverberation of the sound even after you stop pressing the keys. The sustain pedal is purchased separately.
- Sensitive keys help to modulate notes and are important for increasing fidelity to piano sound. If you press the key lightly the sound will be soft and if you press the key hard the sound will be intense.
If you are learning to play the keyboard to switch to the piano, analyze the characteristics of the instrument. (Source: WCoda / Pixabay.com)
If the interest in learning to play the keyboard is only for the desire to play that particular instrument, look for an instrument with the following characteristics:
The keyboard must have normal-sized keys , as small and narrow keys can hinder studies. At first you don’t have to worry about weight or touch sensitivity.
Support pedal input is also important on a keyboard. But this feature does not need to be used when you start your studies. You can start using it when you are at an advanced level.
What is the best type of keyboard for beginners?
When buying a keyboard for beginners, keep in mind that you will improve your skills during the lessons, so give up buying a very amateur instrument.
Analyze the place where you will play the instrument – just at school or intend to perform to the public – whether or not you want to record, whether you are starting to learn now or have been studying for some time.
Whoever started playing now should choose an arranger keyboard.
Those who started playing now should opt for an arranger keyboard, while those who already have a little knowledge about the instrument, can buy a digital piano or workstation.
The beginner-level arranger keyboard has features designed for learning, simple use and a wide variety of rhythms, timbres and pre-recorded music, to optimize the new keyboardist’s experience.
What are the keyboard types?
There is a wide variety of models of musical keyboards. We list the most common models and their respective characteristics below – we have also prepared a comparative table at the end of the section.
- Digital piano has a sound similar to that of the piano. Offers the possibility of joining two voices.
- Controller keyboard is recommended for use with computer or playback device. It does not have its own timbres.
- Workstation keyboard offers a plurality of tones and sounds.
- Synthesizer keyboard features a wide variety of timbres, although the sounds seem a little more artificial.
- Arranger keyboard offers tones, rhythms and arrangements of other musical instruments, so it is considered a very versatile model.
|Keyboard type||Musical purpose|
|Arranger||Ideal for those who are starting to play the keyboard|
|Digital Piano||Ideal for those who are learning to play the piano|
|Workstation||Perfect for those who need to compose, create arrangements and record music|
|Controller||Who wants to play the keyboard with the aid of computer software|
Purchasing criteria: How to find the best keyboard for beginners
Considering that this article was written to help you find the best keyboard for beginners, we think it is important to explain what features should be analyzed when purchasing the instrument.
When evaluating these characteristics, you will find a quality keyboard to study for a long time, without having to change instruments:
- Number of keys
- Touch sensitivity
- Support pedal input
- Other connections
- Brand and price
If you’ve made it this far, it’s because you really care about choosing the best keyboard for your classes based on sensible decisions. If you have any questions, leave a comment.
Number of keys
This is the first feature that you should consider when purchasing a keyboard for your music lessons. It is important that the keyboard has at least 61 keys – it corresponds to 5 octaves.
A 61-key keyboard can be used to learn to play most of the songs that a student will learn during classes. That way, you can study for a long time without worrying about changing the instrument.
The second feature that you should consider when buying a keyboard is the sensitivity to the touch of the keys. A sensitive keyboard allows you to modulate notes, just like an acoustic piano.
In addition, several songs use the sensitivity feature, so it is important to buy a keyboard with this feature. Look for the following references: Touch Response , touch sensitivity or dynamics.
The keyboard must have characteristics similar to a piano. (Source: Pixabay / Pexels.com)
Support pedal input
When choosing a keyboard, note if the instrument has a support pedal input, used to simulate the sustaining of notes, as with piano strings.
Who is a beginner, does not have to worry about buying a support pedal at the beginning of classes, but if the instrument has a pedal input, you can use this feature as you progress in your studies.
But stay tuned, the support pedal is purchased separately, so the value of this being included in your budget. Another important detail is to check if the pedal you are purchasing is compatible with your keyboard.
Invest in a keyboard with a sustain pedal. (Source: Miguel Ángel Hernández / Unsplash.com)
In addition to the support pedal compatible input, it is necessary to analyze whether the keyboard you want to buy has other connections, such as those listed below:
- Stereo output
- Headphone jack
- MIDI IN and OUT
Another important feature on a keyboard is the sound of the instrument. The most important sound you need to evaluate is the piano – this is usually the first program that appears when you turn on the instrument.
If the keyboard has a good piano tone, then this is considered a good instrument and can be purchased without worries.
Also evaluate the polyphony of the keyboard, that is, the instrument’s ability to play several notes at the same time. We recommend purchasing a keyboard with a minimum of 64 polyphony voices.
Otherwise, it may happen that you are playing a chord with three notes in your right hand and two in your left hand and the sound gradually decreases.
Brand and price
Last but not least, buy a trusted brand keyboard. The best are Yamaha, Casio, Roland and Korg. Prices for a beginner keyboard range from R $ 700 to R $ 2200.