Men’s perfume: How to choose the best in 2022
Today we are going to talk about an essential item in men’s daily lives: men’s perfume. Once ignored by men, today this item is increasingly present at the head of men’s rooms. But do you know which fragrance is right for you?
Historically, men’s perfume is a hallmark of personality. Therefore, choosing the ideal one for you requires a mixture of intuition and knowledge: of your style and the power of different fragrances.
To help you make that choice, let’s show you what to consider before buying the right men’s perfume.
First, the most important
- The male perfume is made with specific scents to highlight your lifestyle and personality.
- Nowadays there are different types of fragrances that, in addition, increase self-confidence, improve mood and reduce stress.
- In the midst of so many options, we will show you what factors you should observe before buying the ideal men’s perfume.
You may also like:
- Women’s perfume: What’s the best for you in 2022?
- Sports shoes: How to choose the best in 2022?
- Shaving foam: How to choose the best in 2022
Ranking: The 5 best men’s perfumes
The idea of having a unique perfume for each type of man, which emphasizes his style and personality, has caused manufacturers to invest more and more in different combinations of fragrances.
In this way, we will introduce you to the best men’s perfumes available on the market today.
Choosing the right perfume can seem like a difficult task amid so many options. But, with a little knowledge, it is possible to choose the perfect men’s perfume for you.
To help you in this endeavor, we created this Buying Guide with everything you need to know to choose the best men’s perfume.
What is men’s perfume?
The male perfume is a mixture of essential and aromatic oils with alcohol and water, among other components. Its objective is to provide a pleasant and lasting fragrance to the human body.
But did you know that each fragrance expresses a different characteristic such as freshness, lightness, seriousness, tradition and modernity? That’s the power of men’s perfume: to emphasize your style and personality.
This occurs through the combination of different notes, which are the main ingredients of the perfume. Today, there are more than 3,000 notes, such as orange, flower and wood notes.
The notes used in men’s perfume, in turn, are grouped into olfactory families. For example, the notes of orange and lemon, which belong to the citrus family, emphasize a refreshing aroma and, therefore, are suitable for the modern and cool man.
In general, however, the more traditional male perfume prioritizes notes that transmit stronger, less citrusy and less sweet smells. The fact is that, today, it is possible to find a male perfume for every type of man, from the most conservative and classic to the modern and adventurous.
We will talk more deeply about how to identify the olfactory families and the notes of each male perfume in the Purchase Criteria.
What is the difference between male and female perfume?
At the beginning of the perfumery industry, even in ancient Egypt and India, perfumes were made without distinction of gender.
Over time, a division was made in which fragrances for men and women would be based on the characteristics and preferences of each one. This differentiation considered that, in general, men are more conservative and traditional in terms of olfactory preference.
And, according to experts, they tend to be more faithful to a type of perfume and less open to new experimentation than women.
Thus, it was agreed that the male perfume would be based on woody aromas, whose notes are known to transmit vigor and sensuality.
According to experts, tend to prefer the male perfume with fresh woody notes, such as citrus and aromatics. But, as we will see later in this article, it is possible to choose different fragrances, in addition to woody, which will reflect different situations, lifestyles or personalities.
On the other hand, fragrances with floral, light and sweet notes were intended for female perfume. But this differentiation between male and female perfume should not be seen as a rule. It serves only as a guide in your process of choosing the ideal perfume.
After all, not infrequently, many women prefer to use men’s perfume. Fact is, more important than the denomination is that you know that each perfume reacts differently according to the person’s skin.
How does men’s perfume react on each skin type?
Men’s perfume has different effects depending on your skin type, be it oily, dry or normal. That’s because, the perfume changes not only because of the person’s natural smell, but also because of the skin texture.
Thus, depending on your skin type, the male perfume may have a greater or lesser fixation, which will interfere with the intensity of the perfume’s exhalation.
So it is important that you understand your skin type, and avoid that a few minutes after passing the perfume, you no longer smell it. Or, on the contrary, if you pass on the perfume and the smell becomes too intense, it becomes a nuisance.
For you to better understand, check out below how the male perfume works on different skin types:
- Normal : this type of skin tends to keep the fragrance on the skin for longer, so you won’t need to reapply the product frequently.
- Dry : as this type of skin contains little oil, it is more difficult to maintain the fragrance in the body. In that case, it will be necessary to reapply the perfume throughout the day.
- Oily : those with oily skin must dose the amount of perfume applied since, in this case, there is a high fixation of the fragrance.
It is worth remembering that, applied in large quantities the male perfume can be uncomfortable and even cause headaches.
What are top, heart and bottom notes?
After choosing the notes that best fit your taste, it’s time to consider how they work on your skin. And that changes between the different types of men’s perfumes
Perfumes released three notes in different ways. When you spray the perfume, you will smell a certain smell, known as the aroma of the first note, the starting note.
About half an hour later, you will smell another, corresponding to the second note, or heart note. And, an hour later, the third note, the bottom note, will be felt.
It is worth remembering that the location of the body where you spray the male perfume also influences, both in fixation and durability, and in the type of aroma exhaled.
So it is important that you not only try the men’s perfume before you buy, but wait a few hours to feel all the notes that the aroma will exhale.
Understand better how each note behaves when it comes in contact with the skin:
- Top notes : it is the first aroma you feel when you spray the perfume and it has a short duration. Ex: citrus notes evaporate easily.
- Heart Notes : it is the soul of the perfume and the smell that other people will feel emanating from you, hence the importance of these notes being in the composition of your male perfume. Ex: notes with specials, floral, fruity and herbal.
- Bottom Notes : it is the final scent of the perfume that fixes your skin and will be felt an hour after you pass on the perfume. Ex: woody and resin notes.
Thus, if the chosen perfume has citrus and woody notes, for example, the aroma that will last longer will be wood.
What are the advantages of a male perfume?
Smelling people are unanimous. There is no one who does not like it. But, in addition, men’s perfume has numerous advantages. In addition to saying a lot about who wears it, emphasizing lifestyle and personality, perfume is a stimulator of senses.
Who doesn’t like to smell a good perfume on their skin? And who is not stimulated when they smell the aroma coming from someone who passed by their side?
The fact is that men’s perfume has the power to improve mood, reduce stress and increase the self-confidence of the person who uses it and also those around them.
In addition, the male perfume is an aphrodisiac and, depending on the fragrances used in its composition, it also has the power to confer relaxation.
But not everything is perfect. The disadvantage of perfume is that, although there are affordable options on the market, the best fragrances are still considered the most expensive.
In addition, if you miss the dose when spraying the male perfume, the stimuli that should be positive can become negative. Too much perfume is not recommended. Check out the advantages and disadvantages of men’s perfume:
- Improves mood
- Increases self-confidence
- Reduces stress
- It’s an aphrodisiac
- High Price
- At the wrong dose, it bothers and causes headaches
Nowadays, there is a huge variety of brands, sizes and fragrances for men’s perfumes. For this reason, the price of this product varies a lot, and can cost between R $ 30 and R $ 950. Here is the maxim: neither too cheap nor too expensive.
Where to buy?
You will find men’s perfumes for sale in perfumeries, pharmacies and department stores.
But we recommend that you buy men’s perfume from online stores like Amazon. Thus, you guarantee a greater variety of brands and prices and still purchase the comfort of home.
Purchasing criteria: Factors to compare the types of men’s perfume
As we have seen, to choose the ideal male perfume, you must consider your intuition, your lifestyle and personality.
But for that, you need to know a little about the composition of the perfumes available on the market today and how each fragrance can highlight the best you have.
Therefore, we have listed below the main factors that you must observe before buying your men’s perfume:
- Fragrance concentration
- Olfactory family
In the following, we will explain in detail each of these factors for you to choose the ideal male perfume.
The first factor that you must observe before choosing your men’s perfume is the concentration of fragrance. This factor will determine the intensity and the degree of fixation of the perfume.
You may have noticed that perfumes have the following descriptions in their packaging: “Parfum”, “Eau de Parfum”, “Eau de Toillette”, “Eau de Cologne”.
These are the terms that classify the fragrance concentration in the product and that will define in which situation you will use the perfume. Thus, the more concentrated the essence, the more marked and lasting the perfume will be.
Understand below what each of these terms that define men’s perfume means to choose the best one for you:
- Eau de Cologne : it is the famous cologne. It has a low concentration of essence, about 3%, so it is the weakest type of perfume. Refreshing, can be used all over the body, especially after bathing.
- Eau de Toilette : they are soft perfumes, neither so strong nor so weak, with essence concentration that varies between 4 and 14%. It has an average fixation of 8 hours on the skin.
- Eau de Perfum : this is the strongest of perfumes. It has between 15 and 20% of essence in its composition and average fixation of up to 12 hours.
- Parfum : this is the pure perfume itself, but it is rare and very expensive, with an essence above 20%.
We have already seen that olfactory families group the notes or ingredients that make up the perfume. It is important that you get to know them in order to buy the perfume that contains the ones that will highlight their characteristics.
Therefore, we list below the main families of male perfume and for what type of man they are indicated:
- Citrus : contains notes of orange, lemon, lime and bergamot. Perfumes with these notes are refreshing and ideal for cool men.
- Woody : is the family most present in men’s perfumes. Contains notes of sandalwood, cedar, vetiver, patchouli and leather. Suitable for classic and executive men.
- Aquatic : contains notes of herbs, green and marine leaves. Suitable for adventurous men and sportsmen.
- Aromatic : with notes of lavender, coumarin and patchouli. Widely used by modern men and women alike.
- Oriental : contains notes of resins, spices, rare flowers and fine woods. They are more intense and sophisticated perfumes, ideal to use at night.
Also take into account the size of the male perfume. In general, the manufacturer brands sell bottles of 30ml, 50m, 75ml, 100ml and 150m, with some variations.
The bigger the bottle the more expensive the product will be. Also, evaluate how often you plan to use the perfume. This is because the perfume has an expiration date and it is useless to buy a large bottle and not take advantage of it.
best long lasting perfumes for men
top 10 perfume brands for male
top 10 perfume brands for male
perfume for men
best perfume for men 2022
top 10 perfumes for men
best perfume for men in the world
best perfume for men under 1000