Air humidifier: What is the best model of 2022?
Whenever the temperature changes and the climate gets drier, that doubt beats, is it worth it or not to invest in an air humidifier? Increasingly popular, the device is becoming a favorite in homes.
Gaining the space that used to be vaporizers, humidifiers are a frequent subject at certain times of the year. Especially when the humidity in the air tends to drop more than usual, causing those well-known discomforts and respiratory crises.
To alleviate the malaise caused by dryness of the nostrils, air humidifiers are great allies. Its main function is to make the environment pleasant, by evaporating the water. Interested? In this article you will learn about the best humidifiers on the market, their advantages and disadvantages and how they work.
First, the most important
- Most current air humidifiers have ultrasonic technology and release a pleasant cold mist, responsible for humidifying the environment. The appliance does not heat up and does not present a risk of causing burns, unlike the vaporizer.
- The use of filtered water in the humidifier is very important, as it helps to avoid possible air contamination caused by bacteria. Cleaning your humidifier is essential to ensure your health and that of your family. In addition, it is recommended that the product is not used very frequently. We will explain why later on!
- Humidifiers often offer excellent value for money. They are practical, efficient, use little energy and have a long service life if they are cleaned correctly and frequently.
You may also like:
- Weather Station: How to choose the best model in 2022?
- USB Fan: How to choose the best of 2022?
- Air conditioning: Which are the best of 2022?
Ranking: The 4 best air humidifiers
Especially in some regions of the country, and at certain times of the year, the air can be quite dry, causing respiratory crises in some people. The air humidifier can help in these cases, making the home more comfortable. Check out the best models available on the market:
Air quality interferes with our quality of life. Very dry air can cause discomfort from respiratory crises, even causing nosebleeds to bleed. Therefore, an air humidifier is essential in these situations.
If you want to know more about this device capable of transforming the humidity of the air in your home environments, continue with us.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the air humidifier?
Air humidifiers have many advantages for those who suffer from dry weather and always have allergies. Nobody deserves to suffer inside their own home, right? Therefore, more and more families are adhering to this product, which provides better air quality and brings several health benefits.
In an interview for the Unimed portal, pulmonologist Flávio José Macdowell Costa explained that sudden changes in temperature can interfere with our respiratory system.
Flávio José Macdowell CostaPulmonologist
“Sudden variations in temperature and low humidity favor the appearance of respiratory pathologies, especially in children and the elderly, due to the fact that they promote the multiplication of microorganisms, such as viruses and bacteria, which can cause serious infections.”
Since it is not possible to control the weather outside the home, at least you can change the air quality inside your home.
Air humidifiers prevent the worsening of respiratory pathologies such as rhinitis and bronchitis and reduce the discomfort of climate changes. It is especially important for children and the elderly, who are the people most susceptible to suffering from respiratory problems.
An air humidifier is not usually expensive and can last a long time, offering a great cost-benefit for those who buy it.
In addition, there are multifunction devices, which in addition to humidifier function as a fan, air conditioner, purifier and evaporator. For those who just want to humidify the air, there are also super compact models, which are very discreet in the environment, and even portable ones.
Among the disadvantages of the product, we can list the frequent need to change the water. This will ensure that your humidifier will always be able to fulfill its role of better air quality.
They also cannot cool very hot environments. If you are looking for this function, choose a model that also comes with a fan.
What are the different types of air humidifier?
Although the ultrasonic humidifier is the most common on the market, there are 3 main types of humidifiers. Before choosing which type is perfect for you, know the difference between them:
- Ultrasonic humidifier : This type of humidifier works through a technology that is called ultrasonic. It consists of causing the water molecules to be broken through a vibratory process. The advantage of this model is that it is more accessible and easy to handle. You can control the relative humidity, automatic shutdown, among other features.
- Impeller air humidifier: This humidifier works by means of a rotation disc that releases water into the diffuser. Passing through the diffuser, the water turns into drops that are released in the shape of cold mist. Its main advantage is that this type of humidifier is cheap and easy to find, but it needs much more care when cleaning.
- Evaporative humidifier : The process of humidifying the air here is done through a paper, cloth wick or foam that sucks the water from the reservoir. This is a type of self-regulating humidifier, because if the humidity increases, the water value decreases.
What precautions should I take when using an air humidifier?
Humidifiers should not be used to freshen up the environment and their excessive use can cause damage to health. This is because the device can generate overhumidification of the environment, making the environment more conducive to the proliferation of fungi.
In these cases, it is also interesting to purchase a thermohygrometer, which helps to measure the temperature and humidity of the place.
Experts do not advise that the product be used all night for many nights in a row. Leaving your humidifier on for a long time can generate mold and mildew, which is as bad for respiratory health as dry air.
To avoid overusing your air humidifier, there are other alternatives. Hydrating your body, for example, is essential to ensure your health and a healthy respiratory system. Don’t just rely on the humidifier. Use it as an ally in the search for better health. This is the advice of the pulmonologist at the Escola Paulista de Medicina, Clystenes Odyr Soares Silva, in a G1 interview.
Clystenes Odyr Soares SilvaPulmonologist
“Drinking water and moisturizing your nose with serum are also ways to combat dry weather.”
It is also important that your air humidifier is 1 to 2 meters away from you during use. In addition, the water compartment must be emptied when you are not using the appliance. Standing water facilitates the accumulation of substances and the spread of microorganisms.
These are some precautions that you should always take to ensure that your air humidifier is working for your health:
- Always place the humidifier on a firm, flat surface;
- Wash your reservoir with soap and water to prevent the proliferation of fungi;
- Prefer to use your device during the day, because without the sun the environment is naturally more humid;
- Do not place the device near sources of heat or where there are explosive gases;
- Never leave the steam outlet facing the wall, as this can generate mold on the surface;
- Never leave your device within the reach of small children;
- Do not expose your humidifier to direct sunlight.
Prices range from R $ 100 to R $ 1,000. Smaller air humidifiers are often cheaper. Although quite efficient, they last a little less, if they stay connected daily and for long periods.
If it is necessary to leave the humidifier running for more hours – in some an regions there are periods of drought – it is interesting to invest in a superior quality device, something between R $ 300 and R $ 1,000.
There are many options on the market. Hybrid devices (humidifier + air conditioner), for example, are usually a good choice for those looking for more than one function.
With the advantage of being two in one, some of them can even replace the need for an air conditioner. These models usually cost around R $ 500.
Where to buy?
You can find air humidifiers at major appliance stores without much difficulty. As a product that is becoming increasingly popular, many stores are already selling humidifiers.
If you want to buy in physical stores, you can find the device in places. You will probably find a good model in the store of your choice.
For those who like to buy products online, it is even easier to find the ideal option for your needs. At Lojas Americanas and Amazon, for example, there is a wide range of air humidifiers available.
Purchasing Criteria: Factors for comparing air humidifier models
Because it is an appliance that can improve or worsen your health and that of your family, it is essential to choose the ideal model, which will suit your needs and ensure good air quality. These are some factors that must be taken into account before making the choice:
- Reservoir size
- Ease of cleaning
We will explain each of the topics and answer your questions about the air humidifier!
The size of the reservoir is not always directly linked to the duration of the fog, but they can often be related.
If you use the product with a lower frequency (recommended by experts) and have a small, poorly ventilated house, a humidifier with a capacity of 2 liters may be enough for you.
If your humidifier stays on for a long time (usually in regions that have drier air), a larger reservoir will probably be more useful for you. Choose models from 3 liters capacity.
Although the size of the reservoir can help in the duration, it is always necessary to check the product characteristics before purchasing. Some humidifier models with small reservoir size can last up to 20 hours.
If you usually leave the air humidifier on for long periods of time, choose one that consumes less water. There are models on the market that last up to 120 uninterrupted hours if they are in economy mode!
If you use little, there is no need to choose a device with a long life. Opt for models that last up to 10 hours, which will be enough for you.
Ease of cleaning
Keeping your air humidifier clean is always essential to ensure it will do its job. Dirty humidifiers can cause even more breathing problems than climatic variations.
It is essential to empty the water tank frequently and wash it with soap and water. Therefore, always prefer models that facilitate this cleaning.
Some humidifiers allow you to separate the water tank for washing. Others have a larger entrance, where you can put your arm to wipe with a clean cloth. Give priority to models that facilitate cleaning.
There are several types of humidifiers on the market. These are some types that you may encounter:
- Portable : Can be large on wheels or small. The first is called a portable because it can be easily transported to any room in your home. However, they are more suitable for larger houses, as they occupy a little more space. Small ones can be found in different formats and sometimes even fit in your purse. Today, there are air humidifiers to be used even on the face during the day.
- Hybrids : Hybrid air humidifiers have dual or multi function. In other words, they are for those who want to optimize space and buy a product that works for different purposes. Many hybrid humidifiers are also air conditioners and even fans! The advantage is that you pay a single price to purchase several products in one. The only downside is that they are usually big and a little bit more expensive.
- Compact : This model is simple and ideal for anywhere. The compact models only function to humidify the air and you can leave them on top of some furniture while they do their job quietly. This model is usually affordable and offers the advantage of fitting anywhere. That is, they are great even for small apartments.