Bib: How to choose the best in 2021?
In today’s article we will help you choose an item that is basic in every baby layette: the bib.
With different patterns and prints, the bib is an excellent accessory to reduce or minimize the mess at mealtimes for babies and children, preventing dirt from coming into contact with the baby’s clothes. The modern versions have innovative and colorful designs, being an extra item of cuteness for the look of the little ones.
Follow us on this reading and check out the best product options, in addition to the features you should pay attention to in order to make the best choice of bib for your baby.
First, the most important
- You can find on the market several models of bibs, from the simplest to the most sophisticated, and with different advantages to promote the child’s comfort. Choose based on your child’s age and product design.
- Model, material, age indication, types of closure, accessories included and dimensions of the product are some characteristics to be considered at the time of purchase.
- Bibs suffer a lot of price variation, depending on the brand, model, material, etc. It is possible to find simple versions from R $ 10, the most sophisticated and with accessories can cost more than R $ 100.
You may also like:
- Feeding chair: What is the best for your baby in 2021?
- Pacifier: How to choose the ideal model for the baby in 2021?
- Baby stroller: How to choose the best in 2021?
Ranking: The 5 best bibs
A good bib is one that allows your baby to have all the fun and sensory experiences that mealtime can provide without their clothes getting dirty or stained by food.
Practicality, comfort and freedom are provided by this small item, waterproof or not, that will accompany the baby and his parents for a long time at home, walks and trips.
Are you already convinced that the bib is worth the investment? Then check out our list of the most interesting models of the product to inspire you in choosing yours:
Only cute bib in this ranking, right? Before you are convinced that you need one of each, let’s go to our Buying Guide.
Here you will have access to the most relevant information about bibs: models and indications for use, advantages and disadvantages, values, where to buy, etc … All this will help you to define the ideal model for your needs.
What is a bib and what are its advantages?
The bib is a piece of children’s clothing that is worn around the child’s neck, hanging over the chest.
It receives this name because its main function is to trim the “drool”, that is, to protect the baby’s chest and the clothes that are under the saliva and the food that is accidentally spilled during meals.
Usually made of fabric, waterproof materials or silicone, bibs usually have adjustments and closures by means of pressure buttons, velcro or ties.
There are some versions that have pockets at the base, which serve to accumulate the crumbs and other spilled particles, also keeping the baby’s legs and the floor around them clean.
The bib is one of the first items on a baby’s layette list. Whether for use in the breastfeeding phase, in the introduction of soups and baby food or solid foods, the bib is a great ally to keep the baby clean and dry, preventing moisture from contacting the child’s chest and changing unnecessary clothes .
Bibs are available in different models, colors and designs, as well as in various price ranges. This is good, as your trousseau will certainly need more than one ruffle to take turns: while some wash and dry others are ready for use.
How to choose the ideal bib?
The bib is an apparently simple product, but getting it right is essential to avoid having to invest in several units of this product.
Here are some tips for choosing the ideal bib. Do not choose the model for your baby without first reading the Purchase Criteria listed below.
- Durable materials . Choose durable materials, and models that allow for multiple adjustment positions, so you can use it longer.
- Neither tight nor loose . Remember: the accessory must not be too tight on the neck to avoid disturbing or injuring the child’s sensitive skin, nor too loose, which may allow food residues to enter underneath it.
- Give preference to models that are totally waterproof or with waterproof bottom . This prevents the moisture from saliva or food from coming into contact with the child’s chest, favoring coldness and colds.
- Teething period . The care in choosing should be even greater in the period of birth of the dentition, where the saliva production of the little ones increases considerably. In this stage, which usually starts between the 7th and 9th months of the child, prefer smaller models, more absorbent and in more comfortable materials, since the accessory will also be necessary outside of mealtime.
- Allergy and irritations . Pay attention, also, to the material of the bib. Make sure that there are no components that may cause allergies or irritations to the baby, and that the recommended way of cleaning the product fits into your home routine.
It is possible to find bibs with a wide variation in price, depending on the product brand, model, material of manufacture and other differentials that it offers.
There are models for more than R $ 100, but it is also possible to find simpler types for less than R $ 10. Evaluate the prices of the model chosen in the different brands available in the market to guarantee the best cost-effective purchase.
Where to buy?
You can buy your bib at physical stores that sell children’s products. However, where there will be greater availability of established brands and models it will be in online stores, such as Amazon.
In the case of online shopping, also pay attention to the freight price, which can vary a lot according to the delivery region and make the final value of the product more expensive.
Purchasing criteria: Factors to compare the different models of bib
Often the most beautiful bib or the most expensive and renowned brand on the market can prove inappropriate for you and your baby.
Therefore, we present below the characteristics that you should pay attention to in order to choose the bib that best meets your expectations.
Check below the details of each of these characteristics. Take into account each of these particularities when choosing the bib for your baby and ensure a correct purchase.
The market offers different types and models of bibs. Check the comparative table of the characteristics of the four main types of bib to define which is the most suitable for your expectations:
The most common materials in bibs are cotton, cloth, or waterproof fabrics, in addition to plastic or silicone. The choice of suitable and quality material is essential for the durability of the bib.
If the child already goes to school, give preference to materials that allow the bib to be personalized, to avoid losses.
The closure of the bib can be front, side or rear. The most common types of fastening are push buttons, velcro, and tie cords. The ideal closure should be practical so as not to disturb the baby when placing the bib. Check the characteristics of each type:
- Velcro : It is easy to put on and allows size adjustments, but it makes noise when taking it out, which can disturb the baby. Rigid-type velcroes can also be uncomfortable and prick the child’s sensitive skin.
- Push buttons : They can be a little more complicated to close. Those that allow size adjustments only allow in pre-fixed positions.
- Tie strings : They are simple to close, but can be untied easily by the most agitated children. Allows height adjustment with ease.
The bib is an item that will invariably need to be cleaned or washed with each use. Therefore, it is essential that the cleaning care of the chosen model is uncomplicated.
Models in various fabrics or towels are usually hand-washable or in a washing machine. Models made of plastic, silicone or impermeable materials tend to have more uncomplicated cleaning, which can be done with a damp cloth.