Cat food: How to choose the best one in 2022
If you have cats or are preparing to breed one, this article is for you. Today we are going to unveil the universe of feline food and, for that, we will focus on cat food.
Nowadays there are several types of feed, with a wide variety of nutrients and indications according to the condition of the pet. Therefore, we will explain what you should analyze before buying the ideal cat food.
First, the most important
- A cat food needs to be rich in nutrients to ensure your pet’s good health and avoid serious illnesses.
- Today there is an ideal cat food according to the stage of life and the health condition of the feline.
- Let’s show you what criteria you should consider to ensure you buy the best cat food.
You may also like:
- Toys for cats: See how to choose the best in 2022
- Cat waterer: How to choose the best model in 2022
- Cat Scratcher: How to choose the best in 2022?
Best cat food: Our recommendations
- The ideal option for overweight cats
- The best food for neutered cats
- The ideal food for kittens
Did you know that choosing the most suitable cat food for your pet is one of the main precautions that must be taken in raising the feline? After all, it is the correct intake of nutrients that will guarantee your cat’s health.
But as the differences between the rations are many, we created this Buying Guide. From here you will have access to the main information about the types of cat food and which is best for your pet.
Cat food: When to start this type of feeding?
The first food that kittens should eat when they are born is breast milk. And the period when the feline feeds exclusively on cat milk can last for about 9 weeks.
It is only when the first teeth begin to be born, around the age of four weeks, that you can start offering solid food, which can be both natural food and cat food.
The fact is that cat food ends up being the most complete and practical way to feed your pet.
This is because, this type of feed comes enriched with highly digestible proteins, antioxidants and acids such as omega 3 and omega 6 – essential ingredients for the good development of cats.
What can the cat eat other than feed?
In addition to cat food, you can also use natural food. But, in this case, you must have the support of a specialized professional to ensure the correct nutrition of the pet.
In general, as they are carnivores, cats mainly need animal protein in their food. But it’s not just meat that the cat needs. In general, foods that are rich in calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D are recommended, which can be vegetables, fruits and vegetables.
According to experts, some foods indicated for cats, in addition to beef and chicken, are: carrots, peas, corn, broccoli, zucchini, lettuce, spinach, among others. However, avoid very fatty foods, such as avocado, and citrus fruits.
Did you know that when a cat eats some inappropriate food, he can feel indigestion, vomit, diarrhea or even develop a disease?
Therefore, a cat should not eat, for example, salty foods, lemon, vinegar, chocolate, nor milk and dairy products after the breastfeeding phase.
What should be the frequency and amount of cat food?
Domestic cats eat 10 to 20 meals a day. But the amount of feed ingested varies according to the cat and the nutritional composition of each feed.
To get the quantity right, the ideal is to follow the packaging recommendation.
As they are animals of regular habits, it is important for the cat to have food available whenever it needs it. But to avoid being overweight and to get the quantity right, the ideal is to follow the packaging’s recommendation and get advice from a veterinarian.
In addition, if your cat eats in balanced amounts throughout the day, all you have to do is divide the total amount of feed for the day into two. But, if your cat is prone to obesity and eats it all at once, you need to distribute it in small quantities throughout the day.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of cat food?
The main advantage of cat food is that, with it, your pet consumes the ideal amount of nutrients and in a balanced way.
In addition, as today there is a type of cat food specific for age, physical condition and health, your feline can more efficiently guarantee a more beautiful coat, stronger bones and more vitality.
It is also worth mentioning that cat food is still a more practical way for you to keep your pet healthy and fed.
On the other hand, it is important to note that cat food has disadvantages. The main one is the excess of preservatives and chemicals in its formulation.
Because of this, cat food can eventually cause allergies and even kitten kidney problems. The following are the main advantages and disadvantages of cat food:
- Complete and balanced nutrition
- Most beautiful coat
- Stronger bones and teeth
- More energy
- Variety of brands, types and indications
- Excessive preservatives and chemicals
- Risk of allergies and kidney problems
How much does it cost and where to buy cat food?
The price of the feed ration will depend on the brand, type, size and formula. Therefore, it can cost between R $ 1.7 and more than R $ 500.
In addition, you can buy cat food at pets, department stores. But nowadays, the most practical and quick way to purchase cat food is to buy online at stores Amazon.
Purchase Criteria: What to Consider When Choosing Cat Food
If you’ve made it this far, it’s time to understand what really differentiates one cat food from another.
Amid so many brands, denominations and compositions, you need to know which one is best for your pet. To that end, we suggest that you review the following criteria:
- Age and Conditions
- Chronic diseases
- CALL US
Below, we’ll explain how you can consider each of these factors.
Age and Conditions
Note that there is a cat food for every need. In general, what differentiates them are the types and amounts of nutrients needed for each stage of life. Check out:
- Puppies: The specific cat food that is up to one year old has nutrients that help in the feline’s development.
- Growing: In this case there are diets with a high protein value, in addition to vitamin supplements and calcium.
- Elderly: Felines over 7 years old can already consume the cat food specifically for the elderly, since its formula is made to help in the intestinal functioning of the pet.
- Neutered: Neutered cat food prevents pets from gaining extra weight.
- Indoor living: The food for cats that live, for example, in an apartment and do not go for a walk, have less fibers, which contributes to drier feces.
- Sensitive: There is food for cats with sensitivity in the digestive system, as well as for those with more demanding taste.
- With long hair: There is an ideal food for furry cats that, therefore, ingest a lot of hair. This type of feed helps to eliminate hair balls.
There is also a cat food on the market that has a chronic health problem, such as kidney disease, heart disease, obesity, diabetes, among others.
These rations act in the treatment of these diseases, but it is necessary to have the prior indication of a veterinarian before starting the use. This is because this type of feed can have side effects.
There are three categories of cat food: Standard, Premium and Super premium. And don’t you think that, in the end, they are all the same. Check out the characteristics of each one below:
- Standard: Standard cat food is the common food. This category has low nutritional value and the quality of the protein present is also, in general, inferior. In addition, this cat food usually has a greater amount of dyes, sodium and preservatives, which are harmful to cats.
- Premium: Considered to be of intermediate quality, Standard cat food is better than the previous one in terms of nutrients, but can still count on preservatives, flavorings and dyes in its composition.
- Super Premium: This category is made of 100% animal protein, which contributes to a better digestibility and decrease in the fecal volume of felines. In addition, this cat food does not contain dyes or flavorings in its formulation. Preservatives are natural.
Finally, be sure to take into account the amount of cat food that comes in the package. In general, the greater the quantity, the greater the cost-benefit ratio.
However, it is essential that you also check the expiration date to ensure that the feed will be consumed in a timely manner. In general, you will find packages that vary between 85g and 25kg.
best cat food
best cat food
best cat food for kittens
best cat food for persian cats
homemade cat food
drools cat food
royal canin cat food
whiskas cat food
What is the best cat food recommended by vets?
What are the top 5 cat foods?
What is the best cat food on the market?
What should you avoid in cat food?
What’s the worst cat food?
What is the healthiest cat food brand?
Do vets recommend wet or dry food for cats?
Is Fancy Feast a good cat food?
What is the best affordable wet cat food?
What is the best wet cat food for indoor cats?