Top & Best Clay filter: Find the best model in 2022
The consumption of filtered water is essential for health. To avoid having to buy numerous bottles of mineral water on the market, you can invest in a clay filter, a genuinely Brazilian invention that received the title of the best water filter in the world.
The clay filter has a filtration system that retains up to 99% of impurities and microorganisms, while the purified water is stored in a ceramic reservoir that keeps it fresh. Are you interested in buying a clay filter? Continue reading this article and learn more about the product.
First, the most important
- The water purification takes place in the upper compartment of the clay filter, when the water passes through the filter element – also called a candle – and is released into the lower reservoir.
- In order for the clay filter to remove impurities and microorganisms from the water, it is necessary to change the candle every six months. While the clay filter must be changed every five years.
- One of the biggest advantages of the clay filter is to provide filtered water at a pleasant temperature for consumption. In a good ceramic filter, the water temperature is about 5ºC below the ambient temperature.
You may also like :
- Water purifier: All about the best filters of 2022
- Filter faucet: How to choose the best in 2022
- Refrigerator with water and ice dispenser: Best 2022 models
The best clay filter models: Our recommendations
At home or at work, the clay filter is an indispensable item as it provides filtered, fresh water. In your research on the product, you have surely found several clay filter models and have not been sure which one to choose. To help you decide, we select the best options for sale and explain your differentials.
- The best clay filter for families
- The most modern clay filter
- The classic clay filter
- A more basic option
Buying water bottles on the market may be an option for you, but it is certainly not the cheapest or most effective alternative to quench your thirst. The best way to consume filtered water is to purchase a water filter.
Each type of water filter has its negative points and positives. In this Buying Guide we have gathered all the information you need to know about the clay filter – but we have articles on the other models as well. Good reading.
What are the characteristics of the clay filter?
Made of clay, the clay filter works by gravity, that is, water passes from one container to the other through a small hole. The filter element is a ceramic candle that retains up to 99% of impurities and microorganisms.
What are the benefits of the clay filter?
In doubt whether to buy a clay filter or invest in a more modern solution, such as a water purifier or ionizer? Before deciding, know all the benefits of the clay filter below:
- It is the safest and most efficient way to filter water that goes into the glass free of harmful particles, chlorine, odors and flavors, parasites, bacteria, viruses, pesticides and heavy metals such as iron and lead. The clay filter is the only which has the Inmetro PI classification, which indicates that the filter is capable of retaining particles from 0.5 to 1 micron – the other models can only retain particles larger than 15 microns. But it is necessary to pay attention to the type of candle used by the filter , because not all of them are capable of eliminating microorganisms. In addition, both reservoirs must be cleaned frequently.
- Always fresh water . The clay filter is made of clay, a raw material whose main characteristic is the exchange of heat with the environment that can be perceived by the transpiration of the external walls of the filter. In this way, the water in the clay filter is always fresh – the water temperature is up to 5ºC below room temperature.
- Economy . The clay filter is economical in many ways. This filter does not use electricity to keep the water fresh. The only recurring expense you will have is changing the spark plug every six months.
Another positive point is the affordable price – a clay filter costs between R $ 100 and R $ 200 and lasts up to five years – after this period, the exchange is recommended, as the quality of the water is related to the life of the filter.
As you can see, although simple, the clay filter offers many benefits. Find out more advantages – and some disadvantages – of the clay filter in the table below:
What are the filtering steps of the clay filter?
The filtering steps of the clay filter depend exclusively on the filter element used. There are three types of candles, we detail their respective characteristics in the Purchase Criteria section.
- In models equipped with a triple-action sterilizing candle, the first step is the contact of the water with the filter wall of the candle, a microporous material that retains solid particles and impurities.
- In the second stage , the water comes in contact with the activated carbon, responsible for reducing odors, flavors and the level of chlorine, making the water crystal clear and suitable for human consumption.
- In the third stage , the colloidal silver layer sterilizes the water, freeing it from bacteria and other microorganisms.
In a filter equipped with a double-acting dechlorination candle, only the first and second stages occur. In the filter equipped with a traditional candle, only the first filtration step occurs.
When should the clay filter plug be replaced?
The service life of a clay filter candle depends on the quantity and quality of the water being filtered. Thus, the greater the degree of water contamination, the shorter the life of the candle will be.
In metropolitan areas, the candle should be changed, on average, every six months or after filtering 500L of water. However, if you notice any change in the hue, odor or taste of the water before that time, replace the candle.
To maintain the proper functioning of the filter element, preventive maintenance and regular cleaning must be carried out.
To clean the candle, use a soft sponge (reserve the item only for washing the filter), but avoid any type of chemical – and never use salt or sugar for cleaning, okay? During the wash, leave the candle in the normal position, so that contaminated water does not get inside.
What to do when the clay filter is whitish in appearance?
At times, the clay filter may have a whitish appearance that is mistaken for mold. What occurs is efflorescence, a phenomenon caused by salinity, that is, by the mineral salts present in the water.
This is because of the absorption capacity of the ceramic material. The mineral salts present in the water adhere and go beyond the filter walls, forming a whitish layer on the outside.
If this whitish layer is not removed, it acquires a greenish appearance similar to the slime.
To clean, use a clean sponge (leave it only for cleaning the filter) and do not add any chemicals or neutral detergent, so that the ceramic material does not absorb any chemicals.
You can also use a clean paper towel or cloth. To avoid the formation of stains on the walls of the clay filter, choose an airy place away from sunlight to install your filter.
Clay or gallon filter: What is the best option for your kitchen?
Many people confuse the clay filter with the gallon filter, so we dedicate this section to explain the differences between these two options.
The water cooler serves a small number of people, as each gallon provides only 20L. Some models have the option to connect electricity to obtain fresh or chilled water.
It is important to mention that the drinker does not perform any type of water filtration, so it is essential that the consumer make sure that the gallon purchased is of good origin.
When buying a gallon of mineral water, check the filling and expiration date on the label. And don’t buy a gallon with a broken seal. It is also necessary to be careful when transporting and filling the gallon of water in the water dispenser, to avoid contamination of the liquid.
Take into account that the drinking fountain requires the recurring purchase of a gallon of water that is difficult to handle due to the volume and weight. Want to know more about the drinking fountain? Read the article below:
Purchasing criteria: How to choose the best clay filter for your kitchen
Considered outdated by some people, the traditional clay filter remains the best option to guarantee the supply of filtered and fresh water at home.
And over the years, the clay filter has evolved a lot and has become even more effective in keeping water suitable for consumption. To choose the best clay filter, it is important to evaluate some of the following product characteristics:
- Filter candle
- Capacity in liters
- With or without float
- Inmetro Seal
We will detail each of these criteria throughout the section. Have you ever had a clay filter? Share your experience with us in the comments.
The clay filter must be replenished manually, a task that many people forget, as they cannot see when the water is running out.
To get around this difficulty, you can buy a clay filter with a translucent plastic upper reservoir, so you can monitor the water level in the reservoir and refill it when necessary.
But don’t worry, the water will remain fresh, as the lower reservoir remains ceramic.
The candle is the part responsible for filtering the water in the clay filter. Its function is to eliminate impurities present in the liquid, making the water suitable for consumption. There are three types of candles and each of them offers a certain level of filtration, check out:
- Traditional candle is made of microporous ceramic, capable of retaining solid particles of water (above one micron), making it clean and crystalline.
- Bleaching candle has double action, because in addition to being made of microporous ceramics and retaining particles from 0.5 to 1 micron, it has activated carbon inside – a vegetable compound obtained through coconut shell – responsible for reducing the concentration of chlorine present in water and decrease unpleasant odors and flavors.
- Sterilizing candle has triple action because it unites the power of ceramics, with activated carbon and colloidal silver. This type of candle is the most effective, because in addition to eliminating particles, reducing chlorine, eliminating odors and flavors, it also kills microorganisms.
Also, evaluate the number of candles present inside the clay filter – it varies from one to four candles. The greater the number of candles, the faster the water will be filtered – but the filtering does not become more efficient.
Capacity in liters
To choose the best clay filter, evaluate the number of people who will consume the liquid. You can find models with a water tank with a capacity of 2 to 13 liters.
But it is important to make sure that the capacity indicated in the product description is the total volume of water that fits in the clay filter or if it is considered just one of the reservoirs.
With or without float
The function of a float is to prevent the leakage of filtered water that is stored in the lower reservoir of the clay filter.
In addition to preventing water leakage, the float doubles the storage capacity, as it leaves the upper and lower reservoir full of water. Make sure that the chosen model offers this piece or if you should buy it separately.
The best way to ensure that you are buying a good clay filter is to choose a model with an Inmetro seal.
The Metrology, Standardization and Industrial Quality Institute carries out rigorous tests to make sure that the product meets the quality and safety standards required for its commercialization.