Dog comb: How to choose the best model in 2022
Today we are going to talk about the dog comb, an essential accessory to maintain the health, well-being and good appearance of your best friend.
The comb helps to untangle the knots, eliminate parasites, such as fleas and ticks, assist in the period of hair exchange and keep the coat shiny and healthy.
But it is essential that you choose a comb suitable for your pet’s size, breed and hair type. To assist you in this task, we have prepared this article, with all the information you need to know about this accessory. Good reading!
First, the most important
- You can find different types of combs for dogs: to eliminate parasites, help in the exchange of animal hair, specific to the eye area, etc.
- Animals with short hairs should be combed once or twice a week. Dogs with long, straight or curly hair should be combed daily to avoid knot formation.
- When choosing a dog comb take into account the breed and size of your pet. Also analyze the model, size and ease of handling of the comb.
You may also like:
- Dog guide: Learn how to choose the best model in 2022
- Dog feeder: How to choose the best model in 2022
- Dog collar: Discover the best model in 2022
Ranking: The 4 best dog comb models
As you may have noticed, comb for dogs is not all the same. To help you choose the ideal model for your pet we have selected the best products below.
Having a pet at home requires responsibility, availability and affection. An indispensable task is to comb it at least once a week and it does not have to be tiring for you, nor painful for the animal.
You only need a dog comb specific to the characteristics and needs of the animal. Want to know what this model is? Check the information in this Buying Guide.
What is a dog comb?
The dog comb is an essential accessory in caring for the animal, regardless of whether the hair is short, medium or long, as the procedure keeps your best friend’s health up to date.
But it must be done calmly and carefully, so as not to hurt the pet’s skin. Among the benefits we can highlight:
- Detangles, smooths and shines hair.
- Reduces hair loss.
- Stimulates blood circulation.
- Keeps the dog’s skin lubricated as it helps to distribute animal fat.
- Facilitates the elimination of dead hair at the time of exchange.
- Removes any dirt from the hair.
- Eliminates parasites, such as fleas and ticks.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the dog comb?
Combing the dog’s hair should be a habit, especially in winter, because when the hair is embarrassed they fail to fulfill their main function at this time of the year: protecting against the cold.
Use a dog comb with long, spacious teeth before brushing an animal with a medium or long coat, this way you will eliminate all knots.
Using the product has more advantages than cons, check out:
- It is a daily use item
- You find models for animals with different sizes and shapes of fur
- You can easily find this accessory in any pet store
- It’s a cheap accessory
- It is necessary to buy more than one type of dog comb
- Requires owner discipline
Why is it important to comb a dog?
Combing a dog’s hair is essential for the animal’s health, because when the hair is long and full of knots, the skin is prevented from breathing and this causes many negative consequences.
One of them is that if your dog has fleas or ticks, the medicine will not be able to pass through these nodes and eliminate the parasites (although they can pass through the animal).
In addition, when the hair is full of knots, you cannot see the folds of the animal’s skin, and this can be very dangerous during grooming (a process in which the hair is trimmed or removed).
How often should I comb the dog?
The frequency with which you should comb your dog varies according to the size and shape of the animal’s hair. If the hair is short, you should comb it only once a week, or twice, if it is during the period of changing hair (spring and autumn).
The ideal is to comb your pet every day.
If your pet has medium or long hair, it is essential to comb it every day, because only in this way will you avoid the dreaded knots that can form in the animal’s coat. If you can’t comb every day, do it whenever you can.
But be very careful, to avoid hurting the animal’s skin during the process. Tip: if you groom your dog every day, the process is easier, faster and less painful.
What type of dog comb should I use on my pet?
There is a wide variety of types of dog combs. To choose the ideal model, you must establish what the characteristics and needs of the animal are. The main types are:
- Metal comb: It is a classic model, very efficient for removing by the dead (which have already fallen, but are trapped by the other wires).
- Comb to untangle: It is ideal to untie knots in dogs with large hair. It is also indicated for periods of hair exchange. It has a special blade that removes the hair superficially, without hurting the animal.
- Comb to remove fleas: It has the bristles close together to eliminate fleas from the dog’s hair.
- Comb for the eye area: They are smaller and more delicate, developed to remove the dirt that is in the corners of the pet’s eyes.
- Electric comb: It serves both to untangle knots and to eliminate parasites. The operation can be based on batteries or batteries.
The dog comb is not an expensive accessory. You can buy a good comb for about R $ 30. The electric comb is a little more expensive, it costs about R $ 50.
Where to buy?
You can buy the dog comb at pet stores If you prefer, you can buy the product online, on sites like Amezon.
Purchase Criteria: Factors to compare dog comb models
If you’ve made it this far, you might realize that choosing a dog comb is not as simple as it looks. It is important to analyze and compare some aspects before purchasing this accessory:
- Comb type
- Ease of handling
We will explain each of these topics throughout the section.
When choosing a dog comb, it is important to analyze the breed, size, type and size of hair. For dogs with short hair , the ideal is to use a brush, as it removes dead hair and possible parasites.
The average by the dogs or longer require more care. We recommend that you use a comb with separate teeth, as the accessory will untangle the knots very efficiently and finish with a brush.
A feature that changes from one comb to another is the function of the accessory. You can find your own models to untangle hair, remove dead hair, to the eye area and even to eliminate parasites.
Therefore, carefully analyze your dog’s characteristics and needs before buying a comb or brush. And in many cases you will need more than one model.
The size of the comb is a very important purchase criterion, because you must choose this accessory according to the physical size of the animal. Models vary in small, medium and large size.
Ease of handling
It is important that the comb is easy to handle, as this facilitates the process for you and the pet. Give preference to models with rubberized or wooden handles.
Also analyze the material of the comb, which should be comfortable, so as not to hurt the animal’s skin.
dog comb price
dog comb for labrador
dog comb for ticks
best dog brush for shedding
dog hair comb
dog comb brush
best dog brush for short hair
What kind of brush is best for my dog?
What is the best Deshedding tool for dogs?
Is the furminator bad for dogs?
Is there a tick comb for dogs?
Is it better to brush a dog wet or dry?
How do you stop your dog from smelling?
How often should I use furminator on my dog?
How often should I bathe my dog?
What does it mean if a dog is double coated?
Does furminator damage skin?
Do deShedding brushes hurt dogs?
What brushes do dog groomers use?
Do you brush short hair dogs?
What makes a dog shed really bad?
How do you brush a scared dog?