Flat iron: How to choose the best hair board in 2021
your internet review portal. If you want to change your hair style a little, but want to try something fast and easy, a flat iron can be an excellent ally for you.
Light and practical, the flat iron shapes the hair quickly and safely, giving the appearance of straight or wavy hair, allowing you to transform your look in a few minutes.
So, if you are looking for a perfect hair board for your beauty kit, check out the complete analysis below and find out which are the best flat iron models on the market.
First, the most important
- Flat iron, like any hair styling equipment that emits heat, needs to be used with caution, lest it damage your hair.
- Before using your flat iron, apply a thermoprotective product to ensure the integrity and health of your hair.
- Pay attention to the voltage of your hair board. Some models work in a bivolt way, however it is common to find plates on the market that work only on 110 or 220V.
You may also like:
- Hair dryer: Which one is the best for you in 2021?
- Bath Towel: How to choose the best in 2021
- Dressing table: All about the best 2021 models
Best flat iron on the market: Our favorites
If you still don’t know which flat iron to choose for your beauty kit, check out the list below and discover some board models that we have selected among the best on the market.
- Perfect for home and professional use
- An excellent bivolt model
- The best flat iron with ceramic layer
- Flat iron model with heating up to 220ºC
- The best option to take everywhere
If you want to investigate more deeply the main characteristics of your future flat iron, but do not know where to start looking, you can rest assured that we will explain to you the main points to consider before making your purchase.
What is a flat iron?
Flat irons are devices that assist in styling hair through heat. As they slide through the strands, they mechanically alter the structure of the hair, so that you can achieve different styling effects.
Although the first hairstyle associated with the flat iron is straight hair, there are flat iron that offer countless styling possibilities, from wavy, curly or frizzy.
Did you know that before flat ironing, it was common to use clothes irons as a tool to dry and shape the threads?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a flat iron?
Offering practicality when it comes to shaping the strands, hair straighteners are often the first helpers when it comes to giving your hairstyle a new style.
Perfect for straightening hair, the flat iron can also be used to create other texture styles, making the hair wavy, curly and in some cases, even frizzy.
Another advantage is that although you have some chemical treatment on your hair, you can still use this device. And if you don’t like the effect, just wash your hair and the hair will return to its normal state.
However, before starting the shaping of the wires, it is important to take some precautions, as with the maximum temperature of the appliance, so that you do not burn yourself and that there is no risk of damaging your hair.
For more details on the biggest advantages and disadvantages of using a flat iron to style hair.
- Allows you to create new styles for your hair
- It is possible to model the wires even if they have chemical treatment
- If you don’t like the result, just wash your hair
- It is important to be careful to avoid burns
- It is necessary to pay attention to the temperature so as not to damage the wires
- Voltage must be compatible with the network you intend to use
What are the main devices used to style hair?
In addition to the flat iron, there are numerous accessories that can assist you in styling your hair. Some are better known, such as dryers and baby liss, while others are not as easily found in stores, such as electric bobs and curlers.
In common, these devices work as thermal curlers, that is, they make your hair take on a new shape by heating the strands, and each of them offers a different result.
Did you know that the plates as we know them today were created in 1912 by Jennifer Bell Schofield, who perfected previous models?
What are the main types of flat iron available on the market?
Anyone who thinks that flat iron can only straighten their hair is mistaken, as there are currently numerous types of effects and accessories that can be used with your flat iron. The main ones are:
- Traditional flat iron : It has two boards that heat up and were developed to offer a smooth effect. Depending on the device, some may create a wavy effect.
- Flat iron : With the rounded outside, they help in the curling process. In some models the external part is also heated and can be used as a baby liss.
- Flat iron : Because they have beaded plates, they create small waves in the hair, which can be used for the development of numerous hairstyles.
- Flat iron: Unlike the previous ones, this model does not heat and does not shape the hair. It is believed that due to the icy effect it can act as a treatment for the hair, reconstructing it.
Flat iron or electric brush: Which model is right for me?
With the advancement of technology, new products have emerged to assist in hair styling. One that is gaining prominence today is the electric brush, which promises to make the modeling process as easy as combing.
Some work as a dryer, giving off a jet of hot air as it works, while others work in a flat iron fashion, maintaining a heated surface for styling hair.
Even working in a similar way, the result obtained after using a flat iron and an electric brush is completely different. To compare in detail the results and effects of each device, check the table below.
Is it worth exchanging my baby liss for a hair straightener?
Many people are in doubt as to whether it is worth keeping one of the two devices or both, and the answer is: it depends on your need.
If you are looking for a versatile device that can straighten and curl the wires, keeping a flat iron in your collection can be a great option.
However, if you prefer a look with more defined curls or wavy hair in a more stripped style, baby liss may be the best option.
A useful alternative for those who want to adopt a more stripped-down style is the use of a curling iron, as it has a dual function and can be an excellent accessory in your beauty rituals.
Is a flat iron that warms more is better than the others?
Not necessarily. Hotter plates shape the strands more easily, but it is necessary to observe the hair structure.
Thinner wires will require less effort and will need lower temperatures to model.
In general, human hair can withstand heating up to 230ºC without damaging the strand structure, the ideal is to maintain it and not to exceed 190ºC. Therefore, it is important not to use devices that heat up beyond this intensity.
In general, the following relationship between yarn density and temperature is used:
Therefore, to ensure the health of your hair, it is worth analyzing the structure of the strands you want to model, so that you find a flat iron that heats it to a safe level.
What precautions do I need to take before using my flat iron?
Before you start using your new hair straightener, it is important to pay attention to some special care, which will make its use more efficient.
- First, it is necessary to check the voltage of the device, so that there is no risk of damage to the device.
- Then, it is important to apply a thermal protector to the strands, as this product will be responsible for maintaining the integrity of your hair, even when exposed to high temperatures.
- It is also worth using accessories such as thermal gloves and mirrors , so that you can view all the points you want to model safely and efficiently.
- Another option is to rely on the help of third parties or a professional in the field.
- If you live in a humid region or if your hair is more resistant to thermal modeling, it is worth using an anti-moisturizing product and a finishing spray to keep the curling iron longer.
The plates have different prices, which vary according to the power of the device, size and aggregate technologies. In general, it is possible to find good plates from R $ 60 to R $ 200.
Models that have anti-frizz features or that are intended for professional use tend to cost a little more, but tend to be more durable than more basic options. It is worth comparing technologies and prices to find the best cost-benefit ratio.
Where to buy?
If before this type of device was restricted to stores aimed at beauty professionals, nowadays it is possible to find excellent flat iron in the most varied points of sale, from large supermarket chains to department stores.
In addition to the option in physical stores, it is possible to find a multitude of options on virtual shopping platforms, such as Amazon. In these stores, you will find professional and amateur models at affordable prices.
Purchase criteria: What to consider before buying a flat iron
After much consideration, you have decided that the time has come for you to buy a beautiful and efficient flat iron to style your hair, right? Then you certainly want to know how to choose the right model for you.
Do not worry, as you will not need a beauty professional, as we have separated for you the main points to consider before buying a hair board:
- Device technology
- Security system
- Maximum temperature reached
- Temperature selection
- Flat iron thickness
Check below in detail the main characteristics to consider before choosing the perfect flat iron for you.
It may seem unimportant, but the material of the flat iron can directly influence the efficiency and performance of the device.
In the past, flat iron was restricted to models made of aluminum, which promotes irregular heating, therefore, it requires more passes to achieve a uniform effect – and consequently, it damages the wires more.
Today, it is recommended to buy plates whose heating plates are made with ions or ceramics, since these materials promote uniform heating, help to reduce frizz and close the cuticle of the wires.
Today, in addition to heating, the plates have several technologies that add value and resource to the device. The main technologies found in flat iron are:
- Titanium ions : By emitting negative ions according to use, this technology helps to seal the cuticle of the wires, reducing frizz.
- Sapphire : The smooth surface of the sapphire plate allows for a much smoother glide, preventing breakage during use.
- Tourmaline : One of the best known technologies on the market, it emits negative ions, which act from the inside out, offering a healthier appearance to the wires.
- Infrared : Infrared acts on the water molecules of the wires, so it helps to eliminate toxins and improves the appearance of the wires.
As it is a device that heats up, it is very important that there are safety mechanisms. Before buying, make sure your product has cold areas, so that you can manipulate your flat iron without the risk of getting burned while modeling the wires.
It is also worth noting how the appliance performs temperature control, to avoid the risk of damage to the hair. Some models automatically turn off when the desired temperature is reached, to ensure the integrity of the wires.
Maximum temperature reached
In general, the higher the maximum temperature reached by the flat iron, the easier the hair will be shaped.
Therefore, it is important to choose models with a higher heating pattern, while respecting the maximum temperature limit supported by human hair, in addition to considering the wire structure before using the flat iron.
As previously mentioned, the wire structure directly interferes with the flat iron’s modeling power, so thinner threads are modeled at lower temperatures, while thicker threads need more heat to be styled.
Therefore, to make the device more versatile, some models have the option of selecting the temperature. This way, a flat iron can be used by several people, since its temperature can be adjusted according to the need of the wire.
Flat iron thickness
Before making your purchase, it is important to consider the thickness of the flat iron, after all, it directly defines the speed with which you will be able to style your hair.
Wider plates can reach a larger area of wires at the same time, so in theory they are more efficient than thinner plates.
However, on shorter hair – or to get close to the root of the hair – smaller and thinner flat iron can make the styling process easier and less dangerous.
Did you know that the first registered curling iron was created by Marcel Grateau, in 1980? Then, in 1906, Simon K. Monroe patented a plate with metallic teeth developed to smooth wires and in 1909, Isaac K. Shero registered the double plate model, a precursor to the modern flat iron.
In addition to the flat plate option, some flat iron models allow the use of accessories, which create a special effect on your hair.
It is possible to find plates compatible with curling plates, which when pressed to the strands, can create the wavy or curly effect on your hair, perfect for photos or parties.
Other models also have safety kits, with thermal gloves or support brackets, so you can support your flat iron while using it without damaging the surface of your table or bench.
If you plan to transport your flat iron, it is worth looking for models that have a transport bag, to ensure that your board is protected in your suitcase, bag or backpack.
Currently most of the flat iron models available on the market are bivolt, however it is necessary to pay attention to the manufacturer’s instructions. Whenever possible, opt for bivolt models, as they can accompany you anywhere.
If your flat iron is 110V or 220V and you want, for example, to use it in places with an incompatible voltage, check the possibility of using a transformer. If this option is not available, you will not be able to use your flat iron.
best flat iron for black hair
best flat iron for thick hair
best professional flat iron
best flat iron for damaged hair
best flat iron for frizzy hair
best flat iron for silky hair
best flat iron for natural hair
best flat iron for curly hair
What is the best flat iron on the market?
Which is better ceramic or titanium flat iron?
What is the number 1 hair straightener?
What is the best hair straightener 2020?
What hair straightener does Kim Kardashian use?
What flat iron is least damaging?
How do I choose a flat iron?
What should I look for when buying a hair straightener?
What should I look for when buying a flat iron?
Is BaByliss or chi better?
Are GHD still the best straighteners?
What hair straighteners are as good as GHD?