Pillowcase: How to choose the best in 2022
An essential item on the bed and which also serves as a decoration, the pillowcase has a function that goes beyond protecting your pillow. In today’s article we will talk about the importance of pillowcases.
After a tiring day, all we want is to lie in bed and rest. For a good night’s sleep, an item is very important, the pillow. But for everything to be perfect, we need our pillow to have a cover, the pillowcase.
It may seem silly, but choosing the perfect pillowcase contributes to the quality of your sleep, your health and also the vigor of your hair. Of microfiber, flannel, satin, there are several fabrics used to produce a pillowcase. Come with us to know a little more.
First, the most important
- The pillowcase guarantees greater durability to your pillow. In addition to protecting it, it prevents wear, stains, the proliferation of fungi and moisture. Not to mention that the pillowcase also protects our face and hair during sleep.
- There are pillowcases produced with different types of fabrics. When choosing your own, pay attention to what material it is produced and its characteristics.
- To maintain hygiene, the pillowcase needs to be changed every three to seven days at most. It is essential to wash it well and keep it in a suitable place. In this way she will continue to fulfill her role of keeping her health up to date and protecting the pillow.
You may also like:
- Pillow: All about the best 2022 models
- Nasa Pillow: How to choose the best in 2022?
- Sheet: What is the best for your bed in 2022?
The best pillowcases: Our suggestions
The pillowcase is an essential item in the bed. More than protecting your pillow, it gives that extra touch to the decoration of the room, provides a pleasant night’s sleep and, when chosen well, even helps your hair. These are the most popular pillowcases on the market today:
- The cheapest pillowcase
- The basic pillowcase that cannot be missing
- Satin pillowcase
Whether to beautify your bed or to make your hair look beautiful when you wake up, choose the pillowcase that best suits your needs. They all have the same function: protect your pillow. The goal is to pay attention to the details to choose the preferred one. Below we will talk a little more.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the pillowcase?
You may never have stopped to reflect on the importance of the pillowcase on a daily basis. In addition to giving that extra touch to the bed, it is an essential piece that provides more hygiene at bedtime and helps keep our health up to date.
By protecting our pillow, the pillowcase guarantees greater durability to it, avoiding its wear, stains, the proliferation of fungi and moisture. In addition, the pillowcase protects our face and also our hair, during sleep.
Have you ever thought about sleeping every day without a pillowcase? It would be at least unhygienic, after all, you can’t always wash or change your pillow, right ?!
There are options on the market that contribute even more to your health. The pillowcases are made with antibacterial materials, with antiallergic properties, and the waterproof ones.
To maintain hygiene, the pillowcase needs to be changed with some frequency, every three to seven days. The ideal is to wash it well and keep it in a suitable place. In this way, she will continue to fulfill the role of keeping her healt
How to care for the pillowcase?
To ensure that your health is up to date and that your pillowcase fulfills the role of protecting your pillow, it is important to take some hygiene precautions. Such as:
- Change the pillowcase and all bed linen every seven days at the most;
- Wash the pillowcase with detergent or liquid or powdered soap, preferably neutral or coconut;
- Use cold water or a maximum temperature of 60º C, depending on the manufacturer’s specifications and the fabric that the pillowcase was made from;
- Do not use steam iron . Here it is important to pay close attention to the manufacturer’s guidelines, so as not to damage the pillowcase;
- Store in a cool, dry place.
What are the different fabrics of a pillowcase?
There are pillowcases produced with different types of fabrics. This can make the selection process a little difficult, but it is important to pay attention to this so that the chosen one is the best for you, since each fabric has its own characteristics.
Percale, cotton, Egyptian cotton, flannel and satin are the main ones. Below, you will understand the details of each one:
- Percale pillowcase : One of the most popular fabrics for bedding today is percale. It can be 100% cotton, which has greater durability, or mixed: 50% cotton, 50% polyester, cheaper and easier to iron. Percale pillowcases are produced from 180 threads.
- Cotton pillowcase: 100% cotton pillowcases are usually the best option. The fabric, besides being natural, is comfortable and has a good durability, besides being versatile. In the cold, it is a great thermal insulator, while in the heat, it is very fresh and pleasant. Not to mention that cotton is hypoallergenic. Positive point for health.
- Flannel pillowcase: Flannel pillowcases are the perfect option for the winter season. It has a velvety feel and provides more comfort during the coldest days.
- Egyptian cotton pillowcase : Egyptian cotton is a sophisticated fabric, made with a high thread count. It adds a touch of elegance to the pillowcase. It is perfect to be used during the milder seasons, such as spring and autumn.
- Satin pillowcase: Satin pillowcases have a soft touch of silk and are great for hair. Because their fibers are smooth and delicate, they do not cause friction to the wires at bedtime.
h up to date and protecting the pillow.
How much does a pillowcase cost?
Buying a pillowcase for your pillow does not require a very high investment. Knitted pillowcases, a more popular fabric and some percale, are usually a very affordable option. They can be found from R $ 5.
The 100% cotton models, on the other hand, prices vary between R $ 10 and R $ 30 on average. Pillowcases with more details, such as flaps, zippers, embroideries, made with a more sophisticated fabric can reach up to R $ 100.
Where to buy a pillowcase?
Finding the perfect pillowcase for your pillow is very easy. In online stores like Amazon, it is possible to find the best pillowcase to protect your pillow.
Stores that sell the bed, bath, and table linen, a good range of pillowcases. There are still some options at Carrefour, Extra, and other major supermarket chains.
If you like a specific brand, there is also the option to buy your pillowcase on the websites and in physical stores.
Purchasing Criteria: Main factors for evaluating a pillowcase
Before investing in a pillowcase, pay attention to some essential features. There are some details that you need to take into consideration so that you really choose the perfect pillowcase for your needs and don’t regret it. The most important are:
- Washing instructions
Below, we’ll talk a little bit about each one so you can choose the best pillowcase and have a great night’s sleep.
Although the pillows follow a standardized measure, there is a difference between the pillowcases. And a few centimeters can change the effect they have on the bed, or even how they stay on your pillow.
Some pillowcases can be very large and do not fit perfectly on the pillow. The opposite can also happen, some can be so small that they end up crushing and leaving the pillow looking like a cushion.
Tip: Measure your pillow before purchase and choose the ideal measurement to keep your bed aligned and your pillow comfortable.
If you are one of those who seek practicality when washing, this is an important criterion. Some fabrics may require more delicate care when washing the pillowcases.
Before choosing the ideal model for your bed, see what are the washing instructions that the manufacturer gives for that fabric.
Remembering that they must be changed every 7 days at the most, so the easier this process is, the less work you will have to change the bed linen weekly.
The pillowcase can also be used as a decoration item. If you like something more basic, the smooth ones are there for that. If you prefer an extra touch on the bed, there are printed models, either with lace details or a delicate side band, for example.
Another point to be aware of is whether the pillowcase has flaps or not. The ones with flaps are a little bigger and tend to “fill” the bed more.
There are pillowcase options on the market sold separately and also with more units. If you prefer to invest a little more and have everything matching, you can choose to buy a complete bedding set, which also includes pillowcases.
Some sets come with pillowcases for sleeping and others for “decorative” pillows. They are ideal for those who want to add a touch of decoration.
You can still find the pillowcases sold as a kit, where you can usually buy a set of 2 or 4 pillowcases.
The most popular options on the market are cotton, but you can also find pillowcases produced with specific materials that are natural antibacterials, for example.
If you have constant breathing problems and suffer from allergies, invest in a model with antiallergic characteristics. There are also options made with waterproof fabrics that prevent the pillow from getting damp. It is important to pay attention to these specifications before purchasing your pillowcase.