Surveillance camera: How to choose the best one in 2022?
Be welcome! Today, we are going to talk about a very important item that can guarantee your safety, that of your family and your assets, whether at home or at work: the surveillance camera.
Want to keep an eye on your property while out of town? Worried about thieves breaking into your home? Or do you just want to keep an eye on your kids or dog in real time? Install a surveillance camera in your property.
Currently, there is a wide variety of reliable models on the market, and you will surely find one that meets your needs. But, in order to start this search in the right way, we have separated the best information about this product, with advantages, disadvantages and recommended models. Check out more below
First, the most important
- You must ensure that the quality of the surveillance camera image is sufficient for your purposes, especially if you want to rely on it to identify people.
- A surveillance camera can count on a multitude of functions that will increase its performance, such as night vision, motion sensor, etc.
- Surveillance camera prices can vary widely, but you will find good models at a very reasonable price.
You may also like:
- IP Camera: Which are the best of 2022?
- Intercom: How to choose the best in 2022
- Electronic lock: How to choose the best one in 2022
The best surveillance cameras on the market: Our favorites
If you want to keep an eye on what’s going on in your home, or even in your business when you’re not there, but don’t want to invest in a complete home security system, it’s worth adopting a good surveillance camera.
We have separated the best available on the market so that you can choose a quality surveillance camera that fits your needs perfectly. See in detail each of the selected models.
- Users’ favorite surveillance camera
- A great outdoor camera
- A simple and functional surveillance camera
Adding a surveillance camera to your home or business can be a practical and economical way to protect your family and property. However, there are many options for consumers to filter and not everyone has the same needs.
Therefore, we have created a Guide that explains all the aspects to consider when choosing a surveillance camera suitable for what you need. Keep reading and stay informed of all the information.
What is a surveillance camera?
Surveillance cameras are video cameras used for the purpose of observing an area. They are often connected to a recording device or to a computer or cell phone, and can be watched by a guard, doorman or yourself.
They have the function of monitoring your home, business, goods or even children and animals that are alone at home or with other people. They are used for security, allowing the identification of people by the environments and also preventing crimes.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the surveillance camera?
In the past, cameras and recording equipment used to be relatively expensive, however, this has changed over the years and it is now quite affordable to have a surveillance camera at home or in your business.
Another advantage of cameras today is that they are very practical and versatile, being part of everyday life and featuring images that can be accessed very conveniently over the internet.
Currently, cameras also have the advantage of being equipped with alarms that notify you on your cell phone or that call the police directly.
The only disadvantages are that they can be hacked and, depending on the model, are vulnerable and can be turned off with difficulty. Of course, they can cost some money, especially if you are looking for quality.
What are the different types of surveillance camera?
There are a wide variety of surveillance cameras on the market, and in order for you to have maximum security, you need to choose them properly. So, check out each type of surveillance camera available on the market and its features.
- Bullet Cameras : This is the type of surveillance camera that we see everywhere. A bullet camera can be as small as a tube of lipstick, although some more robust models are about the size of a soda can. They’re great if you know exactly where you want the camera coverage, but the downside is that it doesn’t have a lot of coverage.
- Dome Cameras : This type of surveillance camera is one that is mounted on the ceiling and has a good range of vision. Some of these cameras are fixed and others can be controlled remotely to pan, tilt and zoom for better quality surveillance.
- Live streaming cameras : Ideal for remote monitoring, this type of camera can even stay on a mobile and are designed to feed a signal directly to a computer or mobile device for live viewing. Some can also pan, tilt and scan by remote control.
- Hidden cameras : If you need a camera for something secret, this type of surveillance camera is ideal. They are designed to look like other things, so they are very discreet.
- Wireless cameras: Wireless cameras are very popular, because they are easily integrated into existing home automation schemes. However, you need to be very careful when using the battery of this surveillance camera.
What are the features of the surveillance camera?
In addition to choosing the best type of surveillance camera, you also need one with the right features to protect your home and family the way you want.
Do you want a camera to prevent thieves, or are you more interested in keeping an eye on children or pets? Depending on the answer, you will need different functionality.
Check out three features available on surveillance cameras today and define what’s indispensable for you:
- Motion detector : Cameras with motion detection can send notifications when the surveillance camera observes some movement within its field of view. These notifications can alert you to suspicious activity so that you can monitor the situation.
- Night vision : Your camera’s ability to record images in low or no light situations can have a major impact on its effectiveness. So it can be a very useful feature if the intention is to monitor a location at night.
- Wi-Fi connection: Having a Wi-Fi connection is a great resource if you need to control your home or business remotely. This type of camera can transmit to cell phones, tablets or computers.
The surveillance camera is not a cheap item. Depending on its functionality it can even become even more expensive. Therefore, when analyzing the price, take into account that one camera can be very different from the other because of its functions.
The most basic surveillance cameras, those in the bullet style with low resolution, cost around R $ 90. However, the average value of a good surveillance camera is much higher and revolves around R $ 200.
However, if you want an item with more features and that can be easily integrated into your home system, with wi-fi, motion sensor and more, don’t expect to pay less than R $ 300, as the price range turns around R $ 300 to R $ 1,000.
But you can save by installing your own camera as this video from the Engehall Electric channel teaches, check it out.
Where to buy a surveillance camera?
The most common place to buy surveillance cameras is on the internet at specific websites for selling home security materials. They have a great variety and are experts on the subject. However, these sites are not as well established in the market and are also quite expensive.
There are also physical stores, but they are quite unusual, being difficult to find in any neighborhood or city.
Another very common way to buy these items is to import from other places. However, this way you have no warranty and you cannot trust that the products are original. Not to mention that you have to wait a long time to receive the product.
Finally, another very interesting place to purchase these items is sites like Amazon which have an immense variety of products, fast delivery, and where you can follow the opinion of customers who bought the same surveillance camera.
Purchasing criteria: Factors for comparing surveillance camera offers
A surveillance camera must be a very carefully chosen item, as your safety and that of your family, as well as the integrity of your assets depend on it.
Therefore, some criteria must be obeyed when purchasing them to ensure that the images serve their use. Here are some of the most important criteria to pay attention to when choosing a good surveillance camera:
- Field of vision
- Image quality
Next, we’ll detail each of these items so you can choose the best surveillance camera on the market.
Field of vision
This is one of the most important questions when choosing an ideal surveillance camera. This is because without a good field of view it is impossible to follow what is happening in the environment.
The field of view refers to the size of the angle that a camera can record. Depending on the size of the field of view, you will need more or less cameras and it will also affect where you can place them.
Sound is another very resource, especially if your monitoring requires that you are always listening to what is being said in the environment in question or if you want to communicate with someone at the entrance to your home, for example. There are some sound options for the surveillance camera, which are:
- Sound emission through a speaker;
- Sound reception through a microphone;
- Sound emission and reception at the same time.
Choosing the type of sound depends on the use you want to make for your camera, so choose carefully.
A camera that can move can record an area larger than a static camera and this will help to decrease the number of cameras needed in the environment in question. Therefore, this is a criterion that is worth analyzing.
Another advantage of moving cameras is that they are often equipped with sensors, which allow you to follow a person in motion and follow what will happen.
Depending on the camera, you can still choose whether to receive an alert on your cell phone or computer in case of movement.
An image from a surveillance camera that is clearly visible can help you identify faces or items in the video that your camera records. Therefore, analyzing how good the quality of your camera is is essential.
Make sure the camera you choose produces high-resolution images that can help identify the culprits in crime cases, you don’t want the camera to be useless and just show a figure in the image, do you?