Butter: How to choose the best container for butter in 2022
Enjoying a meal with fresh food on a rich and well-tidy table is a delight, isn’t it? The butter dish performs both functions, so you cannot miss the breakfast table.
The butter dish preserves the nutrients, flavor, aroma and texture of the butter. Consuming fresh butter is good for the palate and health. Faced with so many benefits, we prepared an article filled with information about the butter dish.
First, the most important
- The best way to preserve butter is to preserve it properly. Aspects such as temperature, lighting and contact with oxygen affect the properties, aroma, flavor and texture of the food.
- The main advantage of the butter dish is that you can keep the food out of the refrigerator for up to two hours, making the butter acquire a pasty texture, ideal for consumption.
- The butter dish can be made of plastic, glass, crystal, ceramic, wood and stainless steel. The shape can be rectangular or round and the capacity varies from 150 to 450g.
You may also like :
- Boleira: What is the best choice in 2022
- Dairy: How to choose the best in 2022
- Sugar Bowl: How to choose the best in 2022
The best butter butters: Our recommendations
The day starts best when you enjoy a good breakfast. To keep the table organized and functional, you must invest in the right accessories, such as the butter dish. Discover the best containers for preserving butter in the ranking below:
- The traditional butter dish
- The most fun butter dish
- The best glass butter dish
- The best stainless steel butter dish
The aroma of warm bread in the morning is able to wake up even the most lazy people. To further sharpen the palate, nothing better than a fresh, tasty and creamy butter.
But what to do when the butter is so hard that you can’t slip the filling on the bread? Simple, just buy a butter dish to preserve the nutrients, flavor and texture of the butter. Read this Buying Guide and learn more about the product.
Why should I buy a butter dish?
When kept in the refrigerator, the butter tends to harden and acquire a consistency that is difficult to spread on bread. When kept out of the refrigerator and without adequate protection, the butter melts, becomes rancid and spoils.
To be spread on a slice of warm bread, the butter needs to be pasty. To maintain the ideal properties, flavor, aroma and texture for consumption, you must store the butter in the butter dish.
In addition to keeping the food even more tasty, by consuming fresh butter, the butter dish is also a decorative object that adds charm to the breakfast table or afternoon snack. Find out all the advantages – and some disadvantages – of the product in the table below:
Should the butter dish be stored inside or outside the refrigerator?
The raw material for butter is sour cream, a dairy product generated during the pasteurization process of milk. The cream, rich in fat, is beaten and subjected to the malaxagem process, which removes the remaining water inside the butter.
The result is a yellowish cream with a pasty texture that has 82% milk fat, 16% water and 2% salt and flavorings.
Butter requires storage care.
Precisely because it is a food derived from milk, butter requires care of conservation and storage. When kept out of the refrigerator, bacteria and fungi take action, leaving it rancid and bitter and can cause food poisoning.
Therefore, the butter should be kept inside the refrigerator, at a temperature of 0 to 5ºC. It is important to mention that when preserved in a butter dish, the butter can be kept out of the refrigerator for a maximum period of two hours.
What are the types of butters?
The butter jar, also called French butter dish, was created in France in the late 19th century and consists of two pieces: a ceramic base where you should put filtered and cold water and an attached container where you should put the butter.
The water promotes an airtight seal that keeps oxygen away from the butter, eliminating refrigeration and keeping it in the ideal consistency for consumption. With the pot of butter, you can leave it at room temperature for up to 30 days.
To use the French butter dish is simple:
- First , leave the butter out of the refrigerator until it has a soft texture.
- With a spoon , place the butter in the pot, while its base must be kept in the refrigerator.
- Remove the base of the refrigerator and fill it with filtered, cold water to the indicative line, drawn inside the pot.
- Cover the base with the butter jar , closing the set. The hole allows the butter to breathe and not spoil.
- Remember to change the water in the container every two or three days.
You can also find the traditional butter dish, in a rectangular or rounded shape, made in different materials, with a simple shaped handle and anatomical support for the thumb, which facilitates the handling of the piece.
Is it worth buying a Le Creuset butter dish?
Le Creuset is a French brand specializing in kitchen utensils and offers two options of containers for storing butter, both made of ceramic resistant to temperatures ranging from -50ºC to 260ºC.
The pieces have the classic French design in intense tones, enameled finish, and glazed interior. Both have a five-year warranty. Such quality reflects high prices.
It is up to the consumer to decide if it is worth the investment. We compare the parts in the table below.
Purchasing criteria: How to compare the different models of butter dish
There is nothing better than having the right container for each food. One of these containers is the butter dish, which keeps the butter with the perfect aroma, flavor and texture.
The butter dish also helps to organize and enhance the breakfast table. To choose the ideal model for your kitchen, consider the following characteristics:
- With or without trowel
- Individual butter dish
We will detail each of the features throughout the section. If in doubt, leave a comment.
The traditional butter dish can be found in different materials such as plastic, stainless steel, glass, crystal, ceramic etc.
- Stainless steel keeps food fresh longer. Another advantage is that stainless steel does not release residues in butter, keeping it tasty. Stainless steel is a resistant, durable and sophisticated material.
- Glass is a neutral material, which does not influence the taste or odor of butter. Another advantage is the ease of cleaning. Although it is sturdy, you must be careful not to drop the glass dish on the floor.
- Crystal is a noble material, with high quality and beauty. The piece attributes charm and delicacy to the breakfast table or afternoon tea on special occasions.
- Ceramics are a tough and durable material. It does not absorb moisture, so it helps to preserve the properties of butter. The piece can be taken to the refrigerator, freezer, microwave and oven, as its structure withstands extreme temperatures.
- Plastic is an inexpensive material. You can find models in different formats, sizes and shades. At the time of purchase, look for a BPA-free plastic butter dish, a toxic compound. A negative point is that over time, the piece can absorb odors and flavors.
You can also find the wooden butter dish, but we do not recommend the purchase, as this material absorbs moisture from the refrigerator, in addition to the flavor and aroma of the food.
You find the traditional butter dish in two formats: Round or rectangular. Most models have a rectangular shape, as this is the exact shape of butter bought at the supermarket.
Anyone who prefers a round-shaped butter dish will need to prepare the butter when the product arrives from the supermarket. That is, wait until it acquires a softened texture before placing the butter inside the container with a spoon.
With or without trowel
Some butter dish models come with a spatula that serves to spread the butter on the bread. Although it is only an accessory, the spatula suitable for butter and margarine is a very functional item.
Generally, the spatula can be stored in a fitting located on the lid of the dish itself – but be sure to sanitize the spatula before fitting it on the lid.
Individual butter dish
Another option is the individual butter dish, a container used to serve small portions of butter. The piece is perfect for decorating the breakfast table or afternoon snack in special moments.
The piece is also an alternative in homes where only one of the residents consumes butter.