Ice cream scoop: how to choose the best one in 2021?
In today’s article we will help you choose a utensil that will help you serve ice cream and gelato at home like a professional ice cream maker: the ice cream scoop.
Also called an ice cream scoop, the ice cream scoop is a simple but essential tool to help serve ice cream, gelato, açaí and other cold and creamy recipes. Easy to use, it forms perfect balls to assemble bowls, split bananas, sundaes and other delicacies.
Follow us on this reading and check out the best options of the product, in addition to the features you should pay attention to to make the best choice of ice cream scoop for your home.
First, the most important
- The ice cream scoop is a practical and effective product, which can also have other uses in the kitchen. In order to guarantee all the benefits that this item can offer, the right choice is essential.
- The ideal material and model of the ice cream scoop should be defined based on the intended use and user profile. The choice will be decisive for the durability and efficiency of the product. More sophisticated spoons can add other features, which is an advantage for those who want to avoid excess utensils in their kitchen.
- There are domestic ice cream scoop versions for every pocket. You can find simpler models for values starting at R $ 5. The more elaborate models, with a lever for arranging balls and other features can cost more than R $ 100.
You may also like
- Waffle maker: Which are the best in 2021?
- Chocolate fountain: Which is the best in 2021?
- Ice crusher: How to choose the best model in 2021?
Best scoops of ice cream: Our favorites
- Ice cream scoop for dishwashers
- Stainless steel ice cream scoop with rubberized handle
- Sturdy and easy-to-clean ice cream scoop
Have you ever wanted to click on buy and prepare yourself that ice cream with several balls using your scoop of ice cream? Hold on just a little longer! Next, we will present a Buying Guide, section where we will talk a little more about the particularities of the ice cream scoop and give tips so that you can choose yours without fear of making a mistake!
What is the ice cream scoop?
The basic definition of a scoop or scoop of ice cream is a kitchen utensil with a handle and end in the shape of a scoop, which aims to transform ice creams, sorbets, gelatos and other frozen treats into balls so that they are served more presentably and evenly in cones , bowls or other containers.
Invented in 1897 by the American Alfred L. Cralle, the scoop of ice cream has undergone good improvements since its creation. Today it is possible to find models on the market in different materials, with mechanisms that facilitate the removal of the ball and even electronic versions, which heat themselves to make the act of picking up and serving the ice cream easier.
What are the advantages of the ice cream scoop?
In addition to being practical and easy to use, ice cream scoops can be a very versatile and functional addition to your home kitchen. Although it is designed to serve ice cream, the spoon is also very useful for providing similar recipes, such as frozen mousses, açaí, sorbets, among others.
It can also function as a fruit boleador, in addition to being very useful for dosing and shaping several types of more consistent pasta, such as cheese bread, biscuits and cookies, for example.
How to choose the ideal ice cream scoop?
The ideal ice cream scoop will vary according to the user’s profile and the use objectives for the product. Therefore, these issues need to be taken into account in the search for the ideal model.
In general, the ideal product is one capable of combining characteristics that make it easier to produce balls with ice cream and serve them, being visually pleasing, resistant and durable.
But there are some other characteristics that are usually common to ice cream scoops considered to be quality, and can help to serve ice cream more easily and perfectly. For example:
- Ergonomic design: for comfortable use;
- Non-slip material on the handle: for a safer grip;
- Sharp / cutting edges: for easy use even in very frozen ice creams;
- Large size: to provide generous portions and facilitate the removal of ice cream;
- Lever mechanism: to help release the scoop of ice cream.
That said, choosing the model that meets most of the requirements and is capable of playing the role you personally expect from the product is certainly the best way to choose the ideal ice cream scoop.
How to use the ice cream scoop?
While it is very practical, the ice cream scoop can be tricky to handle if used incorrectly. But there are tips that can help you get the perfect scoop of ice cream. Check out:
- Do not use too hard ice cream. Leave the pot out of the freezer for a few minutes before serving;
- Heat the scoop of ice cream with warm water for 20-30 seconds. The heated spoon facilitates the slide of the ladle and accelerates the removal of the ice cream;
- Dip the spoon in warm water between one ball and another;
- Start by removing the ice cream around the edges – this is where it softens first. Forget the habit of starting to serve from the middle of the pot. The ideal is to start at the edge and make “S” movements to form the ice cream ball.
How much does it cost and where to buy a scoop of ice cream?
The price of the pasta holder varies a lot according to model, brand, material and product details. It is possible to find basic ones very affordable, for less than R $ 5. More sophisticated models, with special materials and levered rods, can cost more than R $ 100.
You can buy your scoop of ice cream at physical housewares stores, such as Camicado, Etna, Tok Stok, among others.
However, it is by shopping online that you can find a greater variety of brands and models of the product, in addition to enjoying the convenience and convenience of buying without leaving home through e-commerce sites such as Amazon, Mercado Livre and Fast Shop .
Purchasing Criteria: How to Compare Ice Cream Scoop Models
With so much legal information, now for sure you will almost be an ice cream master when it comes to serving your ice cream. But before you run to the freezer, check out some more tips and features of the ice cream scoop that will help you compare options and choose the best version for you:
- Shell and cable size
Below we will detail each of these particularities, so that there are no doubts when choosing:
The model of the ice cream scoop can influence not only aesthetics, but also the efficiency of the product. The main ones are the simple ice cream picker and the lever.
Compare in the table the main differences between the most popular types of ice cream scoop to decide which one best suits your needs and expectations:
The most common materials in the manufacture of ice cream scoops are stainless steel, aluminum, cast iron, acrylic and plastic – which can be combined with silicone, wood, bamboo, or other material to form the handle and provide the necessary adhesion for the utensil.
Choose according to your preference, as well as the type of material you use at home. Thus, the same care given to other utensils will be necessary for your scoop of ice cream. Avoid models in which the parts of direct contact with food are made of material that is not susceptible to stains, or that catches a smell or taste, as is the case with some types of plastic.
Shell and cable size
Ice cream scoops may vary by the size of the shell. This variation may influence the way the product is used and the amount of ice cream it can get at once. The larger the diameter of the shell, the larger the scoop of ice cream it will be able to produce.
Cable measurements may also vary. Longer handle models are ideal for use in deeper ice cream jars, such as ice cream. They make it easier to reach the ice cream from the bottom of the pot.
An old and more basic ice cream scoop, with the colors faded by time, some pieces of the cable missing and damaged or crushed parts can still be very useful in everyday life, but it will certainly not be well seen on a table to receive guests.
Invest in models with cool design, which can be used both on a daily basis and to compose the service when receiving visits for dinners, parties or meetings.