Multitools: How to choose the best one in 2021?
Have you ever imagined what your life would be like if you could have one tool that would do the job of many? If you only needed to change one piece to go from sanding to cutting, from roughing to polishing, from woodwork to metalwork? That’s all that a multitool offers you!
Also known as oscillating multi-tools, multi-tools are already manufactured by many of the main companies in the industry. But what can they offer you? What are its advantages and benefits? Why buy yours? And how to choose the best one? We’ll discuss all of that below!
First, the most important
- Multitools are very useful and versatile because they condense the work of several tools, such as sanders and polishing machines, in one.
- Professionals such as artisans, specialists in multiple home repairs and owners of simple workshops are the ones that most benefit from multi-tools.
- As the production of multi-tools is still recent, the brands offer quite different models, which opens up a wider range of choices.
You may also like:
- Drill: How to choose the best in 2021
- Micro grinding: How to buy the best in 2021?
- Politriz: How to choose the best in 2021?
The best multi-tools: The opinion of the newsroom
Multitools are not yet as well known to the general public, but companies make good investments to generate the best products. We will now introduce you to some of the highest quality:
- The most famous multitools
- The most complete model
- A high-powered multitool
Curious about what equipment that promises to be many tools in one can offer? Then it’s time to have all your questions answered!
In our buying guide, we bring the answers you expect about multi-tools!
What is a multi-tool and what is it for?
Multitools, as the name explains, can perform the function of several tools in just one. Most of the time, they do this by exchanging parts in their heads that vary in shape and are therefore able to perform different tasks.
Some brands call them “oscillating multi-tools”, first because they mainly carry out work related to oscillating or turning tools, second to avoid confusion with the also common multi-tool pliers.
Most of the time, multi-tools can take the place of tools such as sanders, circular saws, polishing machines and grinders, allowing work in wood, metal or plastic. This versatility is precisely what has made them increasingly sought after.
Did you know that multitools are German inventions? Two companies, the well-known Bosch and Fein, came together to design the model of a tool that would be able to perform the function of several at the same time with just the exchange of a part.
Over time, several other companies started to have their own multi-tools, some of them very famous and of incredible reputation, as is the case of Makita.
What functions can a multi-tool perform?
The main functions of a multi-tool vary from brand to brand, however, there are some that are always present. We will list them below:
- Sanding and polishing: Almost all multitools have their primary functions in sanding and polishing. They serve very well for places like auto repair shops and others that perform these types of services.
- Cutting materials: It is very common to find the cutting function in multi-tools. There are tips suitable for wood, others for metal, imitating the functions of several different tools.
- Multiple wrenches: Some oscillating multi- tools take advantage of the rotary movement to serve as multi-entry screwdrivers, even counting with tips for rarer screws, such as Allen or Torx.
- Screwdriver and drill: More rare, but still common in some models, is the possibility of a complete adaptation for screwdriver and drill, thus performing these services with good quality.
Eventually, you will still find other types of services made by some models of multi-tools, but these are the ones that you will have available more commonly.
What are the advantages of having a multi-tool?
Multitools have versatility as their flagship. If you perform services like sanding, polishing and cutting with an intermediate frequency, which does not justify having each tool unique to each of them, it is a tremendous hand on the wheel.
Being able to do all jobs with just a quick change of parts is the dream of many workshop and industry workers. Even without having the same efficiency as specific tools, multi-tools is an important step in making it a reality.
Some more modern models already provide ergonomics and adaptability so that the work with each part resembles the handling of the original tool, which solves one of the main disadvantages that the multi-tools had.
The price is a little high, but even less than buying all the tools separately. Therefore, we repeat, the use is ideal for those who need several functions of the multi-tools, but not with very high frequency.
Check the table below for the main advantages and disadvantages of multi-tools:
Who is recommended to have a multitool?
We said that the multi-tools is ideal for groups of people who make use of all the tools they have, however, in a moderate way, without overloading any. What, then, would be the main cases?
Multitools are great for craftsmen or people who make simple repairs as a hobby.
The main one is for craft workers or simple hobby repairers. For them, it is often necessary to carry out some service involving a sander, polisher or saw, but it is not all day, nor with absurd frequency. Multitools can help a lot in these cases.
The “do it all” type of professionals, who go to homes to carry out all types of household repairs for people, are also among the biggest beneficiaries of the multi-tools, since they can have everything they need at hand, without carrying several trinkets.
Some workshops, mainly related to automobiles or furniture, may opt for multi-tools if they have considerable demands for work with sanders, grinders and the like, but that are not as high. They will help a lot in the repair routine.
Think about whether you need everything the multitool offers. If the answer is yes, and if none of the individual tools are used to exhaustion, it is probably a good idea to purchase one.
What are the differences between the multi-tool models?
Multitools do not yet have fully defined concepts of what they are and can perform. Each brand bets a little on different characteristics and, therefore, we need to make a list of what the main manufacturers of this niche offer.
- Makita: Makita has become the most famous manufacturer of multi-tools for investing in an ergonomic system that simulates the use of each individual tool. However, there are not so many functions, with a certain restriction to the sanding, polishing, grinding and similar family.
- Bosch: Inventor of multi-tools, Bosch also has a certain restriction of functions. Offers accessories for cleaning, polishing, removing tiles, floors and the like, cutting and grinding. The power is excellent and the durability too.
- Black + Decker: Black + Decker bets on a different format of multi-tools, with larger heads and a smaller body, allowing a greater number of functions, such as screwdriver and drill. The price is just above average.
- Worx: Announcing its “oscillating multitool” for some time now, Worx has a very complete structure that even offers entries for Allen and Torx keys. It is more compact and less powerful, but very versatile.
We compare the manufacturers’ models in the following table:
How much does it cost and where to buy a multitool?
Multi-tool prices vary according to what they are capable of and brands. The most affordable models are just under R $ 300, while the most modern and full of resources approach the R $ 1,200 house.
Shops specializing in tools and home and construction are the best places to buy a multi-tool. Through the internet, you can make your purchase on Amazon, on Amazon international.
Purchasing criteria: What to pay attention to when choosing a multi-tool
If you are determined to buy a multi-tool, you still need to be sure which is the ideal model. Therefore, we have selected some important criteria that can help you.
- Number of functions
- Extra features and items
Below, we talk more about each of them!
Number of functions
The main reason for someone to buy a multi-tool is to take advantage of the amount of functions it has to offer. Therefore, this number of functions and what they are in particular are important factors in choosing a model.
You can choose the tool that has the features you know you will need most often, or the one that has everything you use at a lower price. The key here is to see which models actually offer the one that best fits your needs.
One of the reasons why multi-tools are not yet ultra popular is the difficulty of using some functions. You don’t sand in the same body position that you screw in, for example, and when the shape of the tool causes these activities to be performed in the same position, there is a loss of comfort.
Some models of multi-tools already offer excellent ergonomics.
Therefore, you can choose a tool that is concerned with greater ergonomics, and that uses special technologies so that all functions are performed in ideal positions. There are already some models that are quite advanced in this regard.
Comfort is fundamental when handling tools, and this is true when we talk about many tools in one.
The greater the power of a tool, the more heavy work it has the capacity to perform. Multitools are, in most cases, developed for simpler services and in common materials, which is why brands do not invest as much in power.
Power is measured in W (watts) in electric models and V (volts) in battery models. There are some tools that already have numbers compatible with good solo copies and, if you want to perform heavier services, you can choose them.
Otherwise, even those with lower power are already great solutions.
Extra features and items
There are some extra features in certain multi-tools that can help your job a lot: Quick connect makes changing the tip very fast and effective, lighting helps with finishing and precision, the handles make it easier for comfort.
Extra items also make a multitool more attractive, especially if related to functions, such as numerous and quality heads and tips, or storage, with good cases that increase durability and facilitate transport.